Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lgrefrig  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 10:59:46 AM(UTC)
lgrefrig

Groups: Registered

Have had this peculiar problem with our LG refrigerator for the past year. The bottom loading freezer gets a collection of ice at the bottom of the freezer which I have to take out about every 2 weeks. Do not have an ice maker. Have called LG and they just state that I need a repair person to look at. The settings for the refrigerator and freezer are normal and food stays fresh in refrigerator and in freezer food is frozen as normal. I've vacuumed underneath the refrigerator. What gives?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:12:13 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
As with most LG's I could not find any info on this unit.
Perhaps the following will be of some use
http://136.166.4.200/contents/F...750xx_Service_Manual.pdf

Sounds like the drain tube going from under the evaporator coils to the drip tray under the unit is plugged.

Check that there is not dust etc. blocking it at the drip tray end.
If OK
Remove the evaporator cover and blow it clear.
If you have a compressor you can use it set at a low pressure OR push a flexible wire through it OR a turkey baster with some warm water.
The biggest problem is figuring out how to get a seal onto the tube so you can clear it
Once clear it is a good idea to flush it out with a 10% bleach solution.
This will kill any crud growing in the tube and hopefully also let you flush it out.

Just be sure that you do not overflow the drip tray.
Also wear old clothes, at least I have to as I always seem to get some of the bleach on my clothes.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
LGman1966  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2011 4:00:46 PM(UTC)
LGman1966

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
As with most LG's I could not find any info on this unit.
Perhaps the following will be of some use
http://136.166.4.200/contents/F...750xx_Service_Manual.pdf

Sounds like the drain tube going from under the evaporator coils to the drip tray under the unit is plugged.

Check that there is not dust etc. blocking it at the drip tray end.
If OK
Remove the evaporator cover and blow it clear.
If you have a compressor you can use it set at a low pressure OR push a flexible wire through it OR a turkey baster with some warm water.
The biggest problem is figuring out how to get a seal onto the tube so you can clear it
Once clear it is a good idea to flush it out with a 10% bleach solution.
This will kill any crud growing in the tube and hopefully also let you flush it out.

Just be sure that you do not overflow the drip tray.
Also wear old clothes, at least I have to as I always seem to get some of the bleach on my clothes.

Thanks denman! Your suggestions really helped. I had this issue, and was able to get everything de-iced and working once again. The best part is, no more ice on the bottom! I'm not sure if this is exactly what you said to do, but I removed the back panel (could see the ice trail coming from it) and there were coils with a pan and a hole down the middle. The whole pan was filled with ice. I popped that out in big peices then got rid of as much water as possible. Then after pouring some boiling water in the tray, I heard it drain once more. Success!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply