Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lmarks  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:54:41 PM(UTC)
Lmarks

Groups: Registered

Ahhh....Sweet sweet success.

As mentioned above, I suspected triac 105 (Agitate triac) was "latching up" which is a common failure mode of triacs. They turn on when they are supposed to, but won't turn off until power is completely removed. Thus the washer would agitate, but never switch into a drain cycle (even when the controller signalled the triac to turn off. Since the controller board never saw an "empty" signal from the water level switch, it would agitate forever, or at least until I turned the washer off.

I ordered a triac from Mouser Electronics for 32 cents, and it took just a few minutes to unsolder the old one and solder in the new one. It just ran a complete "Gentle" cycle start to finish, which matched the timing diagram exactly.

Gene, thank you for your reassurance and help. Without it I would have spent way too much time on mechanical stuff.

By the way, I couldn't match the part number of the 23-year-old part, so I just bought a way-overrated part in the same TO-92 package style as the orginal Motorola part. I suspect a 1-amp 125 or 150 volt part would have worked, but the 800-volt, 1-amp part was only a few pennies more. I got a ST Microelectronics 511-Z0103NA5AL2.

Larry Marks
Computer electronics engineer for the last 39 years.
Lmarks  
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2007 7:31:14 AM(UTC)
Lmarks

Hmmm. I posted a reply Thursday, but it seems not to have hit the board.

Ahhh....Sweet sweet success!

I ordered a replacement triac from Mouser Electronics for 32 cents. It took just a few minutes to unsolder the old one and solder the new one in place. I took a quick check of the trigger diode and resistors, but they were fine.

I reinstalled the board and ran the Gentle cycle. It ran to completion and matched the timing diagram exactly! I've since run four or five loads on various cycles (catching up on five weeks laundry), and all the cycles run fine.

Gene, thanks a lot for your advice. Without it I would have wasted a lot more time looking for mechanical problems.

(By the way, I couldn't match the part number on the 23-year-old Motorola triac, so I just ordered one in the same package type but way overrated. A 1-amp, 125 or 150 volt unit would probably work, but I installed a 1-amp, 800 volt unit, ST Microelectronics 511-Z0103NA5AL2. It was only a few cents more.)

Once again, thanks a lot for your advice and help.

Larry Marks
Computer and electronics designer for 39 years.
makicnc  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2007 3:24:01 PM(UTC)
makicnc

Whirlpool belt-drive won't spin when it's supposed to and i don't know what to do
Gene  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2007 3:41:18 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi makicnc

What is the model number?

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply