Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dtemplet  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:04:46 PM(UTC)
dtemplet

Groups: Registered

The water lever on the "thru the door" water and ice dispenser broke off, due to normal use I suppose. I found several places on-line where I can get the replacement part. What I could use is some direction in replacing the part. I'm a toolmaker, work with injection molds for electronics connectors, so I'm plenty mechanically qualified. I just don't want to charge into this repair blind. :cool:
Thanks for the help,
Dave T.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

FridgeDoctor  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:08:06 AM(UTC)
FridgeDoctor

Groups: Expert

Click HERE to see a diagram of your dispenser. First thing you have to do is remove the cover to expose the solenoid and the hinge area for the actuator lever. Then remove your broken lever, and replace it with the new one. since you are mechanically inclined, if you take a look at the diagram and what you have on freezer door, it shouldnt be that difficult for you. the hardest part will most likely be getting to the actuator rather than the replacing it.

Expert Refrigerator Repair Service in Chicago and Suburbs
dtemplet  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:13:48 AM(UTC)
dtemplet

Looking at the parts breakdown, and reading your reply, I don't see the screws (#82) on the front of the dispenser. Are they behind the bottom tray (#23)? How do I get to them without cracking or breaking the tray?
Thanks,
Dave T.
FridgeDoctor  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:28:01 AM(UTC)
FridgeDoctor

just slide out the drip tray, part #23. it slides easily in and out, so you can clean it.
dtemplet  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:20:36 PM(UTC)
dtemplet

Duh! Well, not easily, exactly. Drip tray was never removed, and stuck in place by lime deposit. But knowing it SHOULD come right out, it did. :)
Now I'll order the part and give this thing a whirl.
Thanks.
Dave T.
dtemplet  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:08:35 AM(UTC)
dtemplet

I keep seeing that, after installation of the new water actuator paddle, the water doesn't work and the ice will not stop running. Can you give me any words of wisdom, aside from looking carefully at how the upper part of the old paddle comes out, and PROPERLY installing the new paddle?
Still waiting on the new part.
Thanks,
Dave
FridgeDoctor  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:46:14 AM(UTC)
FridgeDoctor

Originally Posted by: dtemplet Go to Quoted Post
I keep seeing that, after installation of the new water actuator paddle, the water doesn't work and the ice will not stop running. Can you give me any words of wisdom, aside from looking carefully at how the upper part of the old paddle comes out, and PROPERLY installing the new paddle?
Still waiting on the new part.
Thanks,
Dave

The fact that your water is not working, but your ice is not stop coming out the door, tells me the stem of the paddle is not contacting the dispenser switches correctly. It appears from your model diagram you have two separate switches for the water and ice, is this correct? perhaps the paddle is not seated correctly, or the spring clip is not fitted correctly. I believe to the paddle is held in place my the bearing plates, part # 87(A), that might be for the flapping door, but im pretty sure the paddle stem has to fit correctly into the rotary damper, part #35.

Refrigerator Repair Service Today In Chicagoland
dtemplet  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:52:56 AM(UTC)
dtemplet

I think you got the wrong impression. This has not happened to me...Yet. I haven't done the repair yet. I'm seeing this problem in other, similar posts from other people with this same water actuator repair. But I think your reply has confirmed my suspicion that paying careful attention to how the remainder of the broken part sits in the assembly, and making sure the new part goes in the same way, will avoid the problem. I hope!
Thanks again,
Dave
psurgery  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:14:52 AM(UTC)
psurgery

I have the same issue- I need to replace a cracked actuator paddle for the water dispenser on an Amana SRD27S4W. Looking from underneath it doesn't seem to be a hard repair, but how does the cover come off? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply