Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bayleyspop  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2007 4:17:15 PM(UTC)
bayleyspop

Groups: Registered

I ordered, received, and installed GEH WR24X301 Gasket FF (invoice #; outside of shipping box reads WR24X0301 MAGNETIC) which I purchased from Appliance Parts Pros.

With the door open, the gasket seal is perfect: no wrinkles, bulges, or gaps. However, when I close the door, the seal on the unhinged, handled side of the door seals only the top half of the side edge, leaving the bottom of the handled side edge (and that half of the bottom door edge) with a gap of about 3/4" at the bottom. What can I do to adjust the door to close the gap? (It almost seems that the door is sprung at the hinged corner; that is, as though it is binding on the top hinged side,thus forcing the opposite side to stay unsealed. I re-set the gasket and tightened it down, to no avail.)

I want to fix this. I do not want to give up and send back the replacement gasket. Thanks. David
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 11:26:13 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi bayleyspop

In order to install the door gasket properly you have to remove the door from the cabinet, place it on a horizontal flat surface and then remove the old gasket and install the new one.
The screws should be tightened in the following order: the first screw - at any corner, the second screw - at the diagonal corner, the third screw - next corner from the second one and the last one - at the diagonal corner. All other screws could be tightened in any order.

- For future references here are the break down diagrams for the GE refrigerator Model TBX18DGBR

Good luck.
Gene.
bayleyspop  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2007 10:56:21 AM(UTC)
bayleyspop

Gene,
I did what you advised. It's worse than before. Gap is now 2.5" inches. Anyone else out there with any suggestions before I send back the gasket to Appliance Parts Pros (well, maybe not "Pros")?
Admin / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:10:45 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Quote:
(well, maybe not "Pros")?
Hmm. Funny way to ask for help. :)

Refrigerator door does not have a frame. You have the outer door panel (metal) and the inner door panel (plastic). Both panels are very thin and when you take the door apart and put it back together you have to take great care to make sure the panels are nice and even. It helps to have the door lay flat on an even flat surface, because it's easier to make sure the door panels will be even.

How did you replace the door gasket originally? Did you pull the gasket off the door all at once, with the door attached to the fridge, and replaced it with the new gasket? If so, that is the reason why the door is not even. Also, whenever you take the door off, you'll need to adjust the hinges when the door goes back on. Try adjusting the hinges, and check the door to make sure the outer panel (skin) is even.

There are two ways to correctly replace a door gasket:

First, remove all products from door bins, and remove door bins if possible.

1. With the door still on. Remove the old gasket and install the new gasket in sections - about a 1/4 of the door at a time, starting from the top. This helps keep the door in shape.

2. With the door off and laying flat on the counter (or table, floor, etc.). Read Gene's instructions above.

I'm sure Gene, who by the way is not getting paid for answering questions here, has replaced at least a hundred door gaskets, if not more. I know I've replaced a few. We know what we are talking about. If however you feel that this project is a bit too much or if we somehow did wrong by you, please send the gasket back, it's really not a big deal.

I do want to thank you for being our customer. We know there are other choices out there. We work hard to keep the same high level of service our customers have come to expect from us and this free forum is just another example of that.
bayleyspop  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:51:11 PM(UTC)
bayleyspop

Originally Posted by: Admin / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hmm. Funny way to ask for help. :)

Also, whenever you take the door off, you'll need to adjust the hinges when the door goes back on. Try adjusting the hinges, and check the door to make sure the outer panel (skin) is even.

I'm sure Gene, who by the way is not getting paid for answering questions here, has replaced at least a hundred door gaskets, if not more. I know I've replaced a few. We know what we are talking about. If however you feel that this project is a bit too much or if we somehow did wrong by you, please send the gasket back, it's really not a big deal.

Your latest post is much more useful.:) What exactly do you mean by adjusting the hinges? Do you mean to either tighten down, lossen up or add shims to make the adjustments?
Admin / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:23:46 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Actually, Gene was right on. After taking a closer look at your model, I see that the hinges are not adjustable (they are on most models). I would take the door off again, and follow Gene's instructions. One thing I do want to add is when you set the door on a counter or a table, make sure the door is flat and the door handle is not in the way. A lot of people make this mistake and end up with an uneven door. Loosen the screws up just enough to be able to adjust the panels, don't remove the screws all the way. Adjust the door and make sure it's straight before putting it back on. I think if you take your time and get the door even, the problem should be fixed.
Grateful  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:00:00 PM(UTC)
Grateful

Thanks for the tip on removing the door all the way. So much easier to work on the sides and the bottom. We had trouble with our own installation the day before.
abbie  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2008 11:52:50 AM(UTC)
abbie

Groups: Senior Expert

When replacing a door gasket I find it easier not taking the door off the fridge.When I take the old gasket off,I NEVER remove the screws.I losen them off enough to pull the old gasket off.Then I check the new gasket to see if there is a side with no magnet,if so that side goes to the hinge side of the fridge. If all sides have a magnet then it doesn,t matter.I start tightening the screws on the hinge side first.From top to bottom. then I tighten the top and bottom screws one at a time from the hinge side,at the same time I adjust the door[wiggling the door into position, where the gasket meet,s the fridge frame]the last side I tighten is the handle side,by then the fridge door should be adjusted that all sides ,and top and bottom are tight to the fridge frame. It,s good to heat the new gasket in warm water before you start the job......good luck.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply