Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mr69camaro  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 19, 2008 10:58:55 AM(UTC)
mr69camaro

Groups: Registered

The refrigerator stated to warm up then the freezer. We puller all items. We also removed the evaporator cover in the freezer. We noticed that everything was all froze up. We defrosted in w/ hair dryer. Then we let it run for a couple weeks. It started to freeze up again. I then knew it had to do w/ the defrost cycle. I turned the timer till it clicked and went into defrost mode and waited nothing happened. So I then unplugged the refrigerator and bypassed the defrost thermostat. Then plugged it in and the heater started and completed the defrost cycle. Then the compressor turned back on but the fan would not start. I unplugged the refrigerator and plugged back in the defrost thermostat and then plugged the refrigerator back in and the fan turned on and everything works fine.
Someone is trying to tell me my compressor is bad and to buy a new refrigerator, but I think all I need is a new defrost thermostat.

[FONT='Times New Roman']Please advise [/FONT]
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

glen65  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 19, 2008 11:34:10 AM(UTC)
glen65

Groups: Senior Expert

Does the entire evaporator frost over like in the
picture below?
glen65 attached the following image(s):
53282922_1db7fdbcf7.jpg
mr69camaro  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 19, 2008 12:42:00 PM(UTC)
mr69camaro

Groups: Registered

The first time it was not that bad, we defrosted it with hair dryer then it ran for a few weeks before it seamed to get pretty frosty. I think the thermostat is telling the heater not to turn on. I can force it into defrost cycle w/ the clock and bypassing the thermostat.

I am just worried about replacing defrost thermostat part and then having a compressor problem.
kooler  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 19, 2008 1:01:59 PM(UTC)
kooler

Groups: Senior Expert

Your problem description certainly points at the defrost termination thermostat as the culprit... By all means replace it; if the evaporator coil is icing completely in a week or two then your compressor is doing what it's supposed to do... Sounds like it'll be just fine to me... cheers
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply