Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
makmom1  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 9:43:01 AM(UTC)
makmom1

Groups: Registered

Hi, we have a 7yr-old Maytag freezer on top fridge. It's a basic fridge with NO water or icemaker. I've noticed water pooling on the base shelf right behind the veg/fruit drawers. Nothing in the fridge suggests condensation; however, I have noticed that the fan in the freezer won't shut off. I have the temperatures turned down to 1 on both the fridge and the freezer. The temp in the fridge is holding steady at 40 degrees and the freezer is still freezing everything. Nothing is warm or thawing. Where is the water coming from?? Thanks from a VERY frustrated mom.:)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 10:50:31 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Look inside the freezer and tell us if you see any snowy frost on the rear wall.
makmom1  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 11:02:39 AM(UTC)
makmom1

No frost at all
magician59  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 11:42:18 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Then it sounds like you have a frozen or otherwise clogged drain. It's located at the back (inside the freezer), in the center just under the evaporator. You may have to remove the back panel to expose it. Let your freezer defrost and try to pour hot water into the drain, listening for the trickle into the drip pan, under the machine.
makmom1  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 3:35:30 PM(UTC)
makmom1

Argh!! :mad: After we did what you suggested I thought "Hey, it worked!!" until I saw the water pooling out the fridge door. :eek: I opened the door and noticed water droplets on the back wall from top to bottom and when I moved the, um, "thing" that is in the center of the ceiling of the fridge I heard something rattle and when I moved that a giant piece of cracked plastic fell out. THAT'S what our problem is. We've already spent $50 to have someone tell us to do something similiar to what you suggested - but would have taken much longer as he suggested that we run down the food and unplug it for 48 hours so we're leery of spending another $200 on a repair for a $450 7yr old refrigerator. We'll probably go looking tomorrow. I really appreciate your help. This is such a wonderful site. I'm happy to have found it. Thank you again! :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply