Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ivyecollins  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:52:06 PM(UTC)
ivyecollins

Groups: Registered

When the washer is trying to stop the tub after the spin cycle, it spins, but makes a loud clattering sound like something is trying to stop it, but cant.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 4:17:31 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Sounds like a brake problem. Use the info in the Sticky by Richappy on Direct Drive brakes to investigate. Repairing the brakes, or replacing the Brake Tube assembly will probably be called for.
Qtip  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 7:50:05 PM(UTC)
Qtip

out of curiousity (any experienced tech that may have an opinion) anytime i came across a direct drive whirlpool that wouldnt come to a smooth stop (would stop so quick the tub would hit the frame) i would use the lubricant that came with the frigidaire dryer rear bearing kit and put a very tiny bit of it on the spring and then it would come to a nice smooth stop. would you guys suggest that or no? (i know, i know it just sounds wrong to put lubricant on a brake but worked...)
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:19:05 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Do the tranny coupler test in my sticky "replacing direct drive brake shoes and post results.
Without a amprobe to check motor current, operating the washer with dragging brake shoes could smoke the motor and increase power usage.
Usually dragging brake shoes will just cause a jerky stop. In your case, you may have something busted in the brake housing. You will need to pull the tranny out to check.
Also, you could have a bad drive block, the item that is under the agitator, just pull the agitator to check.
ivyecollins  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:42:26 PM(UTC)
ivyecollins

Replaced the Drive Block today and fixed the problem. Thanks guys for all of your help
richappy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:05:57 PM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Make sure the drive block nut is really tight or it will just fail again. Also, make sure the drive tube tabs are not rounded off. You can use a heavy rod or punch to pound the nut tight if you don't have the special spanner wrench.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply