Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thompsong  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:56:06 PM(UTC)
thompsong

Groups: Registered

When you first start the dryer it squeals horribly. It may continue to squeal for several minutes then usually stops and works OK. Getting pretty tired of the squeal. Can you put me onto the most likely cause and how to find a repair manual online?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

thompsong  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 2:39:01 AM(UTC)
thompsong

Must be too new to get help. Sunday I'm pulling it apart. Either I'll go for parts on Monday or bring home a new dryer. I'll let you know.:eek:
sidfink43  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 6:15:13 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Very difficult for us to diagnose noises, but if you open it up you should find the problem.

Here is the service manual for your Whirlpool manufactured machine. Be patient, it may take a while to load.

https://secured.whirlpoo...61e709/$FILE/8178559.pdf
thompsong  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:29:04 PM(UTC)
thompsong

Thanks for the serice manual SIDFINK43. The noise was coming from the small plastic tension pulley that keeps tension on the belt. I replaced it along with the belt and one drum wheel that turned slow - problem solved. I am certain it was the belt tension pulley becasue I turned the drum by hand and could hear and feel it in the small plastic pulley.
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 5:16:15 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Great, glad you got it fixed at what should have been a pretty reasonable cost and thanks for updating us.
BennyK  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 6:01:10 PM(UTC)
BennyK

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Very difficult for us to diagnose noises, but if you open it up you should find the problem.

Here is the service manual for your Whirlpool manufactured machine. Be patient, it may take a while to load.

https://secured.whirlpoo...61e709/$FILE/8178559.pdf

Dear sidfink, et. al.:

Just to let you know I used your link to get a manual and disassemble our dryer today. My wife and I weren't the original posters on this item, but the problem seemed the same. Turns out is was the idler pulley that puts tension on the belt. I just turned it a little tiny bit by hand, and that distictive squeal could be heard in miniature.

I've ordered the part and am also replacing the the two rubber rollers that support the back of the drum, just to be safe. They seem to not roll as freely as the two front ones which seem fine.

This has been a much huger project than I really wanted, but, thanks to your manual, so far so good. :eek: Half way there, now wait for parts (we live in a very rural area), and then try to put it all back together.:o

Thanks for your info. I have to say, I was dismayed that I couldn't get an "official" Kenmore manual. I tried and tried. I was worried there'd be some discrepencies. However the only real difference between the manual you linked and my machine related to electrical connections. But these were minor.

Thanks again, you helped a stressed brother out!
superealtor  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:20:44 AM(UTC)
superealtor

This link is secured and will not let me open. Is there another link I could look at? I'm having the same problem. Thank you!
ThatGuy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 10:37:32 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: superealtor Go to Quoted Post
This link is secured and will not let me open. Is there another link I could look at? I'm having the same problem. Thank you!

Watch this video. It might help.

Duet Dryer Drum Support Roller (part #WPW10314173) - How To Replace
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply