Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
consumer Mel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:45:07 AM(UTC)
consumer Mel

Groups: Registered

Our dryer started with a slight noise which has become quite loud. When it first starts spinning, there's a few seconds of a grindy, spinning sound which then changes to a loud thumping and vibrating like sneakers are in it. When it stops, the grindy, spinning sound reappears for a second or two. I can't locate the source of the noise. There's nothing obvious to my untrained eyes that looks wrong. Any thoughts on its cause so that I can narrow down the search? Thanks, Melanie
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

consumer Mel  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:02:52 AM(UTC)
consumer Mel

I just found a thread that said that the blower wheel should not spin freely on the motor shaft which mine does. I think my problem is solved. Now to find an out of date part.
consumer Mel  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:38:29 AM(UTC)
consumer Mel

Hi folks. I was hoping I wouldn't be alone on this-never having done anything like this before. I've gotten the bolt loose off the back of the motor shaft. Now I can't pull it through to the front to remove and ultimately replace the blower wheel. Am I missing something. I can't find an online manual for this model. Thanks for any help!! Mel
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:01:38 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Mel,

I'm afraid I did not get clear which bolt did you mean. Can you refer to a numbers on the diagram?

In order to replace the blower wheel you have to remove the blower housing cover (#13 on the diagram), the retaining ring (#12) and the clamp (#11).

- The blower wheel Part number: AP4038116
Part number: AP4038116

Gene.
consumer Mel  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:43:44 AM(UTC)
consumer Mel

Good morning Gene. Thank you so much for getting back to me. I've stewed on this overnight and am pretty sure that the thing I removed at the pulley end of the motor shaft does not need to be removed. It is not in the diagram you've attached. It's easily put back on.

I've removed #13, the housing cover, and #11, the clamp, but I didn't see #12, the retaining ring. Maybe it broke off somewhere. The blower wheel is spinning independently of the motor shaft. I think my issue is with #23 and/or #22. All of the blogs keep saying that getting "it" loose will take some force but I'm not sure what "it" is. Am I trying to get #23 off #22 or #22 off of the motor #1? Thank you so much for all of your help!
Gene  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:21:23 AM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Mel,

[QUOTE]...The blower wheel is spinning independently of the motor shaft...

Looks like this is the major problem with your dryer, which caused a loud noise, weak air flow and long time to dry. Replace the blower wheel and do not think about anything else at this time. Make sure the vane (#22) is not bend and is not touching the blower wheel.

If the retainer ring is missing, you have to order the new one. The new clamp comes with the new blower wheel.

- The retainer ring Part number: AP4033927
Part number: AP4033927

Gene.
consumer Mel  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:08:31 PM(UTC)
consumer Mel

Hi again Gene. First let me say you're pretty amazing. I searched a long time to find a schematic for an Admiral with an LNC prefix and came up dry. Anyway, so you're saying that if I get that retaining ring off, the wheel should just slide off the shaft? That is so much easier than trying to do what I was reading... use 2 wrenches and bust "it" loose.

So now that I know what the retaining ring looks like, I see it is still attached to the motor shaft. How does one remove that bugger? I tried with needle nose pliers and screw drivers and am making more dents in my hand than in the job. Again, infinite thanks for your help and patience, Mel
Gene  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:53:04 PM(UTC)
Gene

Quote:
...How does one remove that bugger?...

The best tool for this job are a snap ring pliers. You can buy it in any hardware store.

Gene.
consumer Mel  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:58:58 PM(UTC)
consumer Mel

Aaahhh, it is all coming clear to me now. I'm off to the hardware store and if all goes well, I'll be ordering just the new blower wheel. Thank you again and I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested. Have a good evening, Mel
Gene  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:03:58 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome Mel.

Keep us posted.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply