Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fusion  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:58:14 PM(UTC)
Fusion

Groups: Registered

I have (2) problems with my dryer:

1. Dryer will not heat. I checked the thermal cutoff for continuity and it appears to be bad. I tried the dryer by touching the wires to the thermal cutoff together and it heated. Is there any other element that needs to be replaced when the cutoff goes bad? Both thermastats appear to be fine.

2. Dryer will not turn off. This is an old problem. When the dryer heated properly, the timer would turn and it would cycle from hot to cold properly; however, it will not turn the dryer off. I must manually turn the timer to "click" it to off. I am not sure what part needs to be replaced to fix this.

Thanks for any assistance,
Gary
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 1:30:58 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL LER5634AN0 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is a wiring diagram
http://www.servicematters.com/docs/wiring/Wiring%20Sheet%20-%203399125.pdf

1. Dryer will not heat. I checked the thermal cutoff for continuity and it appears to be bad. I tried the dryer by touching the wires to the thermal cutoff together and it heated. Is there any other element that needs to be replaced when the cutoff goes bad? Both thermastats appear to be fine.

2. Dryer will not turn off. This is an old problem. When the dryer heated properly, the timer would turn and it would cycle from hot to cold properly; however, it will not turn the dryer off. I must manually turn the timer to "click" it to off. I am not sure what part needs to be replaced to fix this.

I am assuming by thermal cutoff you are referring to the one on the heater assembly. The one on the blower would have stopped the motor.

You may have a grounded element.
This can cause both the above problems:
1. The heating coil is not regulated by the thermostats so overheats and blows the fuse.
2. The timer will not advance when in an Auto cycle but will advance in Timed Dry. In Auto the timer motor gets power from the heating coil when it shuts off. So if it never shuts off the timer will not advance.

You have to find out what caused it to go.
Note: that sometimes they do just blow on their own but changing it without checking other things is a gamble.

Check the heating coil.
Unplug the unit and both wires to the coil.
Check it with a meter, should be around 12 ohms.
Then check from each side of the coil to the case/frame, both should be infinite ohms (open). If not the coil may have sagged or broken and is touching the case (grounded element). This can cause it to run on high and the thermostats cannot regulate it.

If the above is OK then you will also have to replace the hi-limit as it should have regulated the temperature so the fuse did not blow.

You still have to find out why it blew.
Check the seal (drum etc) in the unit. The air is pulled over the heating coils, through the drum and pushed out the exhaust. So any large seal leak will pull in room air and the cycling thermostat on the blower will run the unit hot.
Check that the lint filter is not coated with fabric softener residue which greatly reduces air flow.
Check/clean your vent system.
Check/clean the blower wheel.

If all OK you may want to replace the cycling thermostat as it's contacts may not be opening (welded shut).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Aduckoutofwater  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 12:33:57 PM(UTC)
Aduckoutofwater

Groups: Registered

Hi Fusion, I hope Denman sees this..... I have an LFE5700 with the same problem. Low heat and fluff works fine, high heat does not go on at all. Sounds like I need to check for the BU/BK timer contacts.

Did not see them on the schematic. Are we talking about Blue and BLack wires that connect to the timer? So I am guessing that when I open the control panel I will see some wires coming from the temp selector to the timer, and that (hopefully) either the blue or black will be burned off. That would mean the wire needs to be replaced. If they are not burned off or show other signs of burns then perhaps the whole timer needs replacing??
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 1:04:17 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Aduckoutofwater

Please start your own thread using Post New Topic in this section.

I cannot find a wiring diagram foe this unit and it may be totally different from Fusion's. There are some units out there that actually run twm elements to get different heat settings.

If you do not have the wiring diagram. take a look in the control console, quite often they are stored there.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply