Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bacrath  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2008 6:03:35 PM(UTC)
bacrath

Groups: Registered

I saw a spark in my oven today while baking. When I opened it up , the lower bake element was lite up near the rear of the oven- had a orange glow. I immediately turned it off. Now only the top- broiler - element will heat up when I turn on the oven. I noticed you can buy the element on this site. Can I just replace it, or do I have to have someone come out tan look at it? Is it an easy project for a handy housewife, or is it more involed- I do not mess with electricity.
Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fixxit  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2008 7:42:00 PM(UTC)
fixxit

Groups: Senior Expert

as far as electicity goes if you can identify the double (240 volt) circut breaker, this should not be too big a problem. turn off the breaker and check to make sure you have the power off ( turn on a surface element, should stay cool). there are usualy 2 1/4 inch screws holding the element against the back wall, one at each spot where the element goes in the back. remove the screws and see if you have enough play to pull the element and wires attached to it through. if so is as easy as removing the wires from the old element and attaching the new. if not you will have to pull the range out and pulling the back pannel off to access the wires. once you have replaced the element it is just a matter of putting the screws back in, turning on the power. and voila all fixed. it just a matter of if you feel your up to it. if so good luck and let us know if your up to the challenge.
bacrath  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 10:25:49 AM(UTC)
bacrath

Groups: Registered

Hi again-
Well I put the new element in and it seemed to heat up. First the oven only would heat to around 385 or so, so I turned it off. Then about a half hour later I started it again. It heated to over 450, so I know it was working. I believe at some point during testing it though there was some sort of POP sound, not sure from where. Well now if the stove is plugged in the element will not shut off !!! We had to unplug the stove from the wall so it did not go on all night long, HELP! :eek: What can I do or is this thing just shot! I really wanted to wait another year beofer buying a new stove! ANy help would be greatly appreciated!
---happy housewife
bacrath
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply