Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jturner  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 12:28:29 PM(UTC)
jturner

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Side by Side, Model Number GSH25JSTA-SS. The ice maker works fine, but the water dispenser continues to have issues. The first time that it quit, I first used a multimeter to check that the solenoid valve was engaging when the handle was pressed. I then undid the blue push connector between the doors and checked that water was dispensed properly when the handle was pressed. This led me to believe that the line was froze in the door. I covered the freezer with a bat of insulation and within an hour the dispenser thawed out and worked properly. I turned the freezer and fridge controls to 4 (1 warmest, 10 coldest, 5 recommended by GE). Now, just a few weeks later, the dispenser is frozen again. I just checked with your parts dept to see if the WR49X10173 Water Dispenser Tube Heater would work, and they said not with my model fridge.

What solutions would you recommend? How low (higher temperature) can I set the freezer without damaging food (I know I can buy a thermometer to check, just wondering if you knew off hand).

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

BB_Mike  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:12:24 AM(UTC)
BB_Mike

I too have this problem on my GSL25JFPBBS, same inner working I believe.
I can disconnect the blue tube coupler below (and outside) the freezer and get water to flow from there. I can apply heat to just the door and get the water to flow for a short while. I tried stuffing a rag where ice falls through (on the inside of the door) and this did not help.

My fix was to disconnect the hose at the external blue coupler. then pull the tube back inside the fridge and route it up the back and then allong the shelf bracket. I then attached a small metal bracket to the shelf bracket. I zip-tied the tube to this contraption and viola, WATER! Just be sure not to let a stranger use it, or you'll find your fridge' full of water. :D

If there is a better fix, I'd like to hear it. So far I have:
Water line freezing,
Freezer getting to warm,
Evaporator fan becoming very loud and needing replacing.

I wont buy a GE again. Strange thing is, a close-by friend has the same refrigerator and his has none of these problems.
bw7491  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:46:58 PM(UTC)
bw7491

There is a GE Part WR49X10173 that is a adjunct heater that fits behind the controls on the door for Ice/Water. It is a trickle cell heater and keeps the tube just warm enough to prevent the line from freezing up. It comes with a foolproof splice-kit and you splice the two wires into the existing wiring harness. I ordered mine on AMAZON and there is a YOUTUBE video that explains the process to install.. Hope this helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnBjpvk30ko http://www.amazon.com/WR49X1017...frigerator/dp/B004H3XWCO
BB_Mike  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2011 5:17:40 AM(UTC)
BB_Mike

That's good news! Thanks for taking the time to share that. For $26, I'd love to have the water back on the outside of my fridge. :cool: