Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markham  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2007 6:25:24 AM(UTC)
markham

Groups: Registered

Model: J S998B0H1BB
S/N: DG2 69166 Q
Mfg: 2/2004

The radiant cooktop on my range works but no oven functions work because the display / touchpad is dead.

Each radiant element has its own rotary control knob and they function fine.

Range has 4 seperate boards for: clock, main display, touchpad, and main control board. I'm guessing that if only the display boards were dead the touchpad would still beep when pressed, so my problem must be in the main board.

:confused:
I haven't been able to find this model # in the database, so any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

markham  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2007 8:37:09 AM(UTC)
markham

I found Model# JS998BH1BB in the GE database.
Don't know why the range ID tag has a 0 or O in between the B and H, but it does.

:confused: Anyone know if GE does cryptic stuff like this on purpose?
Admin / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:00:16 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Mark,

Sorry we don't have this model number on our site yet. Should be included with the next update. We do have all the parts for it though. By the way, how old is this model? Is it still under warranty? Check your use and care manual.

Sounds like the display board is not getting any power. Since this model is so new, I can't find a wiring diagram for it. There should be one taped to the oven, either behind the control panel or to one of the side walls. There is a safety thermostat on the back of the oven, but since I don't have the diagram I can't tell whether it cuts off power to the display board. Check the main board, could be a bad low voltage transformer (part of the board). By the way, this is an oven/micro combo. Microwaves have a component called capacitor, which stores power even when unplugged. Be careful with that, if you're not sure how to discharge the capacitor, do not take anything apart!

If you do find the wiring diagram and can scan it, post it here. I'll check it out.

- Main board (out of stock, will take about a week or more to get)

Quote:
Anyone know if GE does cryptic stuff like this on purpose?

I don't know if it's done on purpose, but it's very common for GE to have one model number on the appliance tag and a slightly different number (usually omitting zeros or replacing them with an *) in the parts database.
markham  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2007 10:55:18 AM(UTC)
markham

I bought this range used/liquidated, so no warranty that I'm aware of... I think I will call GE and inquire anyway. The worst they can tell me is no!:rolleyes:

When I had the range out last weekend, I did not see any wiring diagram, but it may have been removed since the unit didn't have any original packaging when I bought it. When this problem started, I arrived at our cabin to find the clocks flashing and the oven display dead. My guess is that there was a power loss along with the the brownout and surge that inevitably accompanies it and wreaks havoc on electronics. I have since started to shut off breakers to everything that doesn't need power while we're not there because I really don't want to keep having similar issues.

Wouldn't the safety thermostat kill power to the cooktop as well?

I counted what I think are 4 low voltage transformers on the front of the board and 2 on the back. They're rectangular, labelled 22/25V, and all next to or feeding capacitors. I'll check them, but have no idea where I could find replacements... the board is made in China by Sanyo.

If I order a board and don't need it because I'm able to fix the current one, can I return the new board?
Admin / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:15:14 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you are certain that there was a power surge, then I'd say the main board is fried (probably one or more of the transformers). It would be nearly impossible to find those transformers individually, replacing them is also not simple, unless you're good at soldering.

It would be a good idea to use a surge protector with any appliance that has a circuit board (whether in your cabin or home).

Quote:
Wouldn't the safety thermostat kill power to the cooktop as well?
That depends. Normally these thermostats kill power to the oven only. Of course, wiring diagram tells all :)

Quote:
If I order a board and don't need it because I'm able to fix the current one, can I return the new board?
If you do not plug the new board in, you have 30 days from the delivery date (not ship or order date as is the case with other suppliers) to return it back for a full refund of the purchase price. Doesn't matter whether it's a special order or an out of stock part.

Why can't we take back electrical components that have been plugged-in? - Once the board is plugged in, we can no longer resell it as it is considered as a used item at that point. If a part supplier takes used electrical parts back on a regular basis, that probably means that they are selling used parts as well, probably without stating so. I think our customers deserve something better. I hope this makes sense.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply