Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BeginnerGuy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2008 5:52:35 PM(UTC)
BeginnerGuy

Groups: Registered

My dishwasher has stopped working.

I first noticed it after completing a wash cycle...the control panel was frozen and the wash indicator light was blinking. To get the dishwasher to run again, I opened the dishwasher, loaded the dishwasher, closed the door, and then pressed some of the buttons on the left side (autoclean, drainoff, etc). The buttons on the left didn't seem to do anything. Then I selected short wash on the right side and it ran a full cycle.

When it was done, I had to repeat the above. I was able to do this a couple more times. The last time I tried this, the cycle started, and then stopped a couple minutes in. I could smell something like plastic burning.

Assuming that I need a new control board, I opened the dishwasher door and validated that the control board is fried. There are a couple of blue boxes on the control board that are burned...and a couple of resistors either side that have burn marks around them.

I know I'm going to have to replace the control board. I have found the part number and will order soon.

Is there anything else that I should be looking at replacing? How do I know if the control board just got old and died, or if something else in the system triggered it???

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

georgerdavis  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2008 4:25:47 AM(UTC)
georgerdavis

In my experience control boards fry all the time. Sometimes it's a spike in line voltage off the street, or power outage. Just to be sure there's nothing else, you can take off the front door panel and trace all the wiring from the contril to the machine junction box, including opening up the box to make sure the connections are alright. If everthing seems in order, replace the control and forget about it! Good luck!
BeginnerGuy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:03:55 PM(UTC)
BeginnerGuy

I ordered a new control board on Sunday from appliancepartspros.com. I received it today (Tuesday). Quick delivery!

I installed the board this evening. Not too difficult. I made a picture of where the wires plug in before I removed the defective board. This was real helpful when putting the new board in.

Based on suggestions from others, I checked the wiring harness for defects. I found that there were a couple of wires where the plastic sheathing was cut through, but the copper wire looked unharmed. I found this down where the door hinges. It looks like a metal part from the door had been cutting into the wires somewhat. I'm not sure if this is what caused the control board to fail. Anyway, I used some electrical tape to tape up the wires, and then also to cover up and sharp metal edges.

When I was all done, I turned the power back on. Works like new! It is now on it's 2nd wash cycle.

Thanks georgerdavis and others for thoughts and help!
deben2859  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:15:14 AM(UTC)
deben2859

I have seen a lot about this dishwasher and the controller board. 2 years ago I had the timer led blinking light and dark and dishwasher would not cycle thru anything. I eventually smelled burning and it was the controller board.

Replaced and all was well.
Now it happened to me yesterday. I researched the boards again and one user had mentioned checking the wires as they run from the door to the dishwasher. I found 2 that had insulation vut but were in tact. I fixed those and did not solve problem. Looks like a controller board again!

Took the board out and nothing seemed burnt. Put it back in and sure enough the dishwasher worked for a minute. Then same symptom.
Took the board out and found the issue!!!!!

**Below requires some basic electronic work. I recommend you disconnect the dishwasher from all electrical power before attempting this.

When you Remove the board and inspect it you will see 2 large Blue Relays. One of them has a 3 in black writing on it. This one had a broken solder connection (It was loose on the board). It takes a lot of heat to get the pad hot enough to re-solder it but once it was done things were as good as new!!!!!

I have a feeling people are replacing these boards and all it may be is a bad solder joint. I think my first board went bad as a result of this relay breaking loose and shorting the board.