Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mattmiller  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2008 3:19:35 PM(UTC)
mattmiller

Groups: Registered

Hi,
I've got a Viking cooktop and one of the burners has stopped lighting. If I turn on another burner at the same time, both will light, so I suspect the ignitor and spark module are working properly. I removed the switch from this burner control and was not able to measure any continuity no matter what position I turned it. When I connect the two wires that had run to this switch, the ignitor fires properly. So I suspect that my switch is bad.

I ordered what I thought was a replacement switch (looked the same in the pictures, although I could not find a part number on the switch I removed). When I replaced it, the ignitor began clicking - with the control knob in the off position. I removed the switch and measured its continuity and it seems that this particular switch has continuity in the off position and 1/4 of the way around.

Only after going back to look at similar parts on-line, do I now notice that there are many, many of these types of switches that all look identical. Is there a part number that I can use to search for the correct switch - I have not been able to find any parts lists for viking cooktops. I believe what I'm looking for would be a switch that is no-continuity in the off position, then on for 3/4 of its turning.

Sorry for the long winded post, but any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 10:57:34 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Matt,

Viking keeps all their part lists as a top secret. If you can post a pictures of the faulty switch it might help to match it up. Otherwise you have to call Viking.

Gene.
mattmiller  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2008 4:39:33 PM(UTC)
mattmiller

Thanks for the response.

The part I had ordered for this is listed as WB24X412 in your database. It fits perfectly physically, but it appears to only have continuity from the 0 to 90 degree position. I measured the ones that are working properly on my remaining burners and they appear to have continuity from about 45 degrees through 270 (starting from 0 at the top and moving counter-clockwise). Looking at the parts on my range, they all have the number 0217A in ink on their housings. I have attached pictures of the top and bottom of my switch.

Thanks again for the help - I'll call Viking if this doesn't help match up a part number.

Matt
mattmiller attached the following image(s):
CIMG3835.JPG
CIMG3837.JPG
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2008 1:19:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Matt,

If the color of the center piece is black then the part number for the ignition switch is AP3144377

Gene.
mattmiller  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2008 11:06:02 AM(UTC)
mattmiller

Thanks, Gene,

It is a black center piece. I'll order another part and see how it works. I'll be sure to post my results.

Thanks again,
Matt
mattmiller  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2008 4:47:59 PM(UTC)
mattmiller

Thanks! I had found this part number and ordered a replacement. You are exactly correct - PA020015 - this fixed the problem.

Thanks again,
Matt
rcape  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 11:27:32 AM(UTC)
rcape

Originally Posted by: mattmiller Go to Quoted Post
Thanks! I had found this part number and ordered a replacement. You are exactly correct - PA020015 - this fixed the problem.

Thanks again,
Matt

Matt I have a similar problem. Could you provided a brief discription of how you removed the spark switch?

Thanks Rich