Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nswenson13  
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:57:27 PM(UTC)
nswenson13

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: ibdavid Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I have an approximately 2.5 year old Maytag electric MER5755QAW. Two days ago my wife was baking and she gave quite a yelp when she saw a bright flash from the base of the oven and heard a quick buzzing humm sound. The oven's bake and broil elements no longer work. The cooktop, clock, control panel, and oven light all operate "normally".

I have tried to read several posts to try and figure out problem. It would be nice if just elements need to be replaced, but why would both not work? This leads me to think maybe problem is not elements, and maybe problem is thermal fuse??

My question is what do you think problem is and is it worth fixing? I would also be curious what I should expect to pay to have fixed if it is not something I can handle myself?

Thanks,
David:confused:

I have had the exact same issue with the exact same model, only black in color. I am wondering if you ever got a response or figured out. We are looking at replacing the circuit board and are wondering if it is worth it. What would you recommend we do?

Thank you!
ibdavid  
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:47:51 PM(UTC)
ibdavid

Well thanks to Gene I am still using my now 8 year old MER5755QAW. Recently one side of the door handle appeared to be loose. I started to take the door apart to investigate. I took off the top door trim piece and was able to remove the outer door glass. I then encountered the handle brackets (#14 04-Door / Drawer parts for Maytag MER5755QAW - AppliancePartsPros.com )which attach to the inner door behind the outer glass and use a screw that comes from behind and attaches the handle to the top trim piece. Upon investigating the hole in which the screw goes into the handle I discovered it was cracked. Several attempts with JB weld and other methods and unfortunately it looks like I will need to get a new handle. Worse the outer glass that I had removed successfully later shattered.

Ok so all that background to get to my problem. Although it is not logical I cannot figure out how to re-install the outer door glass. If I attach the handle brackets first I cannot put the glass in the door. I thought at first i could place the top edge of the glass into the groove for it on the underside of the top trim piece of the door and then "swing" the glass down to the bottom grooves in the lower part of the door. But it does not fit.
Of course if I put the glass in first then I cannot attach the handle brackets to the oven door. Specifically the screw from behind into the handle as it goes through the top trim piece and you cant put this piece on and later put the glass in.

Did I just somehow remove the outer door glass initially in the wrong way? As I cannot figure out how to put it back in. I looked at various videos on replacing the outer glass door but none of the ovens shown had these brackets.

Do i take one of the side pieces off the door ( #17 or 18) and slide the glass in from the side??

Also a side question does the outer door glass go in with the thermal tape at the top?
Gene  
#23 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 5:14:08 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello David,

You have to remove the door from the oven first. Did you do it?

I hope the attached instructions will help.

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
ibdavid  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:50:55 AM(UTC)
ibdavid

My now 13 year old range has been working the past 10 years due to Gene's advice and help.

Yesterday the range made a buzzing sound when attempting preheat.It never made it past 205. The cook top works, interior light works, and broiler element also works.

I tried to pull the bottom cover to inspect bake element and one screw is stripped. Will try ez out or dremel tonight.

Knowing the history is it more likely the clock / brain will also be bad again? Unlike last time (details above) the broiler element is still working.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply