Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gogoguy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:56:39 PM(UTC)
gogoguy

Groups: Registered

Model # - PSS26MSTD

Serial # - RL – 427680
Fridge was bought new in 2006. About a year ago the water dispenser started acting up. Sometimes it will dispense water, other times when I push in the lever with a glass I can hear sounds coming from the back, but no water comes out. I found that if I unplug the unit and open the doors for a while the water dispenser would start to work again.
Now it has gotten worse. The top 1/3 of the freezer gets warm and melts all the ice in the ice tray. The bottom 2/3 of the freezer works fine. If I put fruits or veggies in the middle part of the fridge, they will freeze.
I took all the food out of the fridge and let it sit, doors open and unplugged for 24 hours. It worked like a charm for a day or so, then went back to sometimes able to make ice, but most of the time the top of the freezer is warm. The water dispenser stopped working again, and makes no sound at all when you push the lever.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:42:42 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would remove the back panel of the freezer and check for frost. If all frozen up, defrost with a hair dryer and check the defrost heater on the bottom of the evaporator, probably bad.
gogoguy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:39:39 PM(UTC)
gogoguy

Thank you for the reply richappy. I was going to work on the fridge this weekend but I wanted to run a few things by you guys first.
In the 70 days since I made my first post the fridge has been running mostly okay with the exception of the fridge side still freezing the veggies in the middle drawers. The ice has melted only three or so times over the last couple months.

What I have found is - When the fridge is full of food everything seems to run just fine. It is when the fridge is fairly empty that it seems to act up. The ice will melt, the water dispenser stops working (line freezes I guess) and water will pool inside the fridge at the bottom and then it will freeze.
Fill the fridge with food and it all starts to work okay again.

Do you still think it is the defrost heater?
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 3:20:55 PM(UTC)
richappy

You might have intermittant refrigeration problems. I would check the frost pattern in the freezer, should be evenly frosted and not 1/2 frozen. At the same time, monitor the freezer temperature. You might find it gets warm when it acts up.
It could be your compressor acting up, your motherboard, condensing fan or evaporator fan. In any event, it seems like your fridg is running a lot, probably due to any of the above. Certainly, if your average freezer temp is around 10-20 degrees, you have problems.
gogoguy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:36:40 PM(UTC)
gogoguy

To be honest, my job keeps me extremely busy...pretty much 24/7. I'm usually not home when the fridg acts up, but I hear about it when I walk in the door.

My plan was to just replace the parts that could most likely be causing the problem.
Where would you recommend I start? Should I replace the thermistors? The motherboard?
richappy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 12:54:07 AM(UTC)
richappy

You can't legally do refrigeration without a license, so I would (for food saftey reasons) make sure your freezer is getting down below 10 degrees.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply