Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cooper03  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:13:50 AM(UTC)
cooper03

Groups: Registered

Both refrogerator and freezer sections went warm. Repairman stated that the motherboard had to be replaced, and upon doing so, advised that since the compressor would not start up, the inverter board was bad. Is there a way to diagnose the failure of an inverter board? I'm not too many parts away from a new refrigerator.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

roycreamer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:08:30 PM(UTC)
roycreamer

Groups: Expert

if he was wrong, you shouldn't have to pay... that's the way i work it. if you need another part he should put the part in for cost, or give your money back for the motherboard that didn't work, (and may not have been bad)
cooper03  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:41:06 AM(UTC)
cooper03

Roy, thanks. He did not charge, but if he changes out the Inverter, will charge for both parts and labor, $1,000! I do not have a wiring diagram, but do you know if the inverter has anything to do with starting the compressor?
GaryW15  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:48:01 PM(UTC)
GaryW15

In most cases with the GE refrigerator, the problem in the disc in the compressor start relay. I have had them go bad on 2 of my fridges.

Gary
richappy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:23:55 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
From the parts breakdown, the overload and start relay are in the inverter, is this correct? Makes no sense as this would provide no thermal overload protection.
GaryW15  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 8:39:12 AM(UTC)
GaryW15

The part that probably went bad is the "PTC /Overload / Relay" which are all the components of the compressor start relay. If you remove the part and shake it, you will probably hear the broken pieces of the PTC disc. All you need to purchase is the section with the disc.

It's also a good idea to have a spare on hand. The disc only lasts several years. When the disc is starting to go bad, the refrig will have hard starts and shutsowns.

Gary
richappy  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 3:47:33 PM(UTC)
richappy

The compressor start device is in the inverter, and the motherboard controls defrost and evaporator and condenser fan motors. Seems like you will need a new inverter board. Any problems with the motherboard can be diagnosed once you get the compressor running.
denman  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2009 5:39:36 PM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Do not quite understand how a March 2008 thread got reactivated but here is a good thread ion GE inverters.
http://forum.appliancepartspros....html?highlight=inverter
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
richappy  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:40:44 AM(UTC)
richappy

Denman:
I suspect the compressor runs on a 12 volt, variable frequency square wave.
If so, the compressor could be tested (assuming 60 Hz. is a runnable frequency) with a 12 volt transformer and a manual compressor test box. The unit will draw about ten amps, assuming a 1/5 HP compressor. Current draw over nameplate rating would be a bad compressor.
This would save blowing out a new inverter. Of course, the start and run windings could be determined with accurate, digital ohmeter.
Another idea would be adding a overload klixon to the common terminal, but this assumes the klixon will trip before the inverter power transistors/fet's fail. This just might work