Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
carlynew  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2008 3:03:59 PM(UTC)
carlynew

Groups: Registered

The Oven on my Kenmore Self Cleaning Electric Range will not turn off without throwing the Breaker. This just started today, and resulted in a near catastrophe as an unattended casserole was burned to a crisp because the heat was too high (had it set at 250/ appeared to be cooking at 450). The oven is turned off at the control, but comes on when I reset the breaker. Any ideas?:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

misterfixall  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2008 3:41:50 PM(UTC)
misterfixall

Groups: Senior Expert

possibly you may have a live short bringing power to element in oven ,or the electronic clock is defective ,part #wb27k5127
Testet  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:18:12 AM(UTC)
Testet

I have the same problem with Kenmore Elite. In my case, we went for a walk and in our absence the range spontaneously turned itself on, working at full heat. As a result, it partially burned a towel and a pot beside the range, almost igniting a fire in the house. Since then there is no way to turn it off but through disconnecting the breakers.

The range is obviously a source for danger to its unsuspected owners and I believe Kenmore and its distributors are fully liable for recalling them at no cost to the owners. However, Sears Canada (the company I purchased it from) insists that our case is an isolated one and therefore we should repair it at our expense. It is particularly upsetting that Sears and Kenmore ignore such complains, putting people’s lives and property in danger because of their negligence. I am considering an action against both companies to force them recalling (replacing or refunding the purchase) the range. Can you contact me at alex.pestov@rogers.com ? I am trying to find people with the similar problem in order to prove that we are not the only one and there is obviously a serious design flaw.
lihba  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:40:26 AM(UTC)
lihba

I also have had a similar problem with my Kenmore model #665.92012102 electric range. I was lucky in that when mine decided to heat up, nothing was in it. However, it did ruin the finish on my racks that were of course inside. I am currently contemplating replacing the computer which will cost me $300 to replace it myself, or replacing the entire appliance. It's only 6 1/2 years old though.
daniel16303  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2008 9:45:55 PM(UTC)
daniel16303

I have a similar problem. Twice, when I switched the stove top off, the cook top stayed on. I had to turn off the circuit breaker. My range was bought Jan. 2006. This is definitely a fire hazard. The light indicator goes off as if the range is off, but the cook top continues on red hot. If I did not pay attention to the food burning, it would have burned the pan and caused a fire possibly. There are similar problems for a Frigidaire range on another forum that I read about. I called sears and found out that my Kenmore is made by Frigidaire, but I don't know whether the models are the same.
Keith Wheeler  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:08:15 PM(UTC)
Keith Wheeler

I have a range with a cook top that spontaneously turns itself on and off as well. If anyone has started talking to attorney's it would be interesting to hear.
momofsix  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 11:16:48 PM(UTC)
momofsix

I have a Kenmore oven that is about 5 years old. Last year we had to have the heating element replaced, too soon I think. Now when I use my oven the temp. increases on it's own and then the oven won't shut off unless I turn the breaker off. The model is 79092313300.:mad:
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:58:49 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: momofsix Go to Quoted Post
I have a Kenmore oven that is about 5 years old. Last year we had to have the heating element replaced, too soon I think. Now when I use my oven the temp. increases on it's own and then the oven won't shut off unless I turn the breaker off. The model is 79092313300.:mad:

Most likely the problem is a bad relay on the Electronic Oven Control (aka a clock). It is recommended by the manufacturer to replace the clock together with the overlay because it's glued to the clock.

- The clock Part number: AP3214510
Part number: AP3214510

- The overlay Part number: AP2126491
Part number: AP2126491

Gene.
vanbao  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:15:48 PM(UTC)
vanbao

I have a Kenmore Elite glass top range and the front right burner, won't turn off. Could there be a short in the switch. There is no error code in the control board.
Gene  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:28:56 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Very likely the problem is a shorted infinite switch for this burner. It can be tested for continuity between "L1" & "H1" and "L2" & "H2" terminals while the switch is in Off position.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply