Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jakevi  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:14:24 PM(UTC)
jakevi

Groups: Registered

Good day,

I have a Maytag model # Lat5005AAW. It fills with water and then it goes no further with the cycle. When I try to restart the load, it makes a slight noise, the lights in the house dim for a moment and then that is it. Also, the timer switch keeps ticking away, until it reaches the OFF setting and while it is ticking, it continues to almost start and dim the lights repeatedly. After searching your help forum I have determined that it is the timer, yet the water does not drain over night as stated by one forum member. I have already ordered the timer from applianceparts but now I just received an email from David at the parts desk and he said it may be the motor bearings or the switch? Can anyone tell me for sure?

Thanks,

Jake
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

James31  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 8:47:08 PM(UTC)
James31

I have a similar issue with a maytag model LAT8035AAE. The water will fill, but will not agitate, rinse, or spin. The timer keeps ticking away until it reaches the Off position. I was going to buy/install a new timer and hope that would be the fix, but I don't want to throw $70-$80 at something that seems to be speculation at this point. If anyone can give a better, more focused answer it would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
James
richappy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 12:58:41 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Pull the main drive belt off the motor and check if the motor bearings are frozen.
If ok, try running the washer with the belts disconnected. If the motor fails to run and draws a lot of current, you have a burnt out motor winding. Verify by checking voltages to the motor.
jakevi  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 5:48:42 AM(UTC)
jakevi

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I cannot find a motor winding anywhere in the parts list. Does it go by another name?

Jake
richappy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 8:28:49 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You have a start and run winding internal to the motor! If you look closely, you may find one of them is black and burnt.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply