Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kfhaggerty  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:20:48 AM(UTC)
kfhaggerty

Groups: Registered

I was changing the igniter and shorted the feed wires. Now, instead of 120 volts, there is only about 50v - not enough to heat the igniter. I don't have a wiring diagram. It doubt it is a fuse since I still have voltage, albeit insufficient. Might there be some sort of in-line fuseable link or relay that may have PARTIALLY burned? Can I get a wiring diagram for free online? I swapped out the thermostats and both work. If I don't get this fixed ASAP my girlfriend is going to kill me. Plus, T-day is fast approaching. HEEEELLP
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:29:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
In order to provide most accurate advice we need the complete and correct model number. The model number you posted does not come up. Verify and repost it.

Gene.
kfhaggerty  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:12:03 AM(UTC)
kfhaggerty

I systematically found that I burned out the dual gas valve heater switch when I shorted the wires feeding the igniter. This cooked the low voltage switch with 120v. Now I have to change the whole valve as is is not a serviceable part. Thanks for your time.
kfhaggerty  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:20:49 AM(UTC)
kfhaggerty

I systematically found that I burned out the dual gas valve heater switch when I shorted the wires feeding the igniter. This cooked the low voltage switch with 120v. Now I have to change the whole valve as is is not a serviceable part. Thanks for your time. Ken.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:39:43 PM(UTC)
Gene

Which part did you call "heater switch"? The dual gas valve does not have such part.

There are three parts in the Bake heating circuit besides the igniter: the oven thermostat, the selector switch and the dual gas valve.

Here is the Tech sheet.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KGBS276XBL0 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
kfhaggerty  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:22:02 PM(UTC)
kfhaggerty

I found a tech sheet in the oven shell. KitchenAid calls the part a "gas valve heater coil". There are two valves, one with two coils and gas tubes for baking and the other with two for broil curcuits. A continuity test proved that the one for bottom oven baking is open, whereas the other three are not. The book says the valve has to be replaced. It is printed right on it that it is not a serviceable part, and it looks like the wire connectors are molded into the case. I have the document you referred to as well. By the way; the igniters are new and the second test I performed proved both thermostats are fine. Thanks again. K.
Gene  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2009 11:36:10 AM(UTC)
Gene

Quote:
...I found a tech sheet in the oven shell. KitchenAid calls the part a "gas valve heater coil"...

This is the first and only time I've seen a such name. Technically there is no coils in the gas valve. Instead there is a bi-metal.

Quote:
...A continuity test proved that the one for bottom oven baking is open...the valve has to be replaced...

That's absolutely right.

- The dual gas safety valve Part number: AP2968506
Part number: AP2968506

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply