Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rleescott  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2024 7:07:45 AM(UTC)
rleescott

Groups: Registered

Yes, it's a 40+ years old refrigerator, and I am trying to save it. I have had recent cooling and decided to try the defrost timer replacement, even though it tested ok on the bench. Fridge has worked properly since then for the past month or so, so I just crossed my fingers and have been monitoring daily. Today I heard a click that sounded like a start relay failure. One click, system off, after a minute or so, fridge starts up, runs for 15 seconds and clicks off. Then repeats. While off, the evaporator fan was running, and I thought it would not run when the compressor was not. Am I wrong? If the relay can't start the compressor, can the circuit still provide power to run the evaporator freezer fan? Then I tapped the cold control button and nothing happened, but I turned the button slightly and it started and has been running since without interruption or click. When I was fiddling with the cold control switch, the evaporator fan was running. If the cold control contacts are bad, I expected the fridge to think it was totally off, shutting down the compressor and the evaporator freezer fan. Where am I making a mistake?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.