Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2024 6:34:42 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello all,

My dryer will not turn on. I have it set to timed dry, air fluff, signal off. The door is closed. When I push start it makes a subtle sound for several seconds kind of like a pendulum quickly swinging on a clock.

I followed the instructions on the manufacturers tech sheet and this is what I found.

1. Connector at p2 even heat control is firmly connected

2. Timer measures 120 VAC to neutral from BK and BU

3. PTS switch and motor relay both measure 120 VAC to neutral

4. PTS switch passes through 120 VAC when pressed

5. Both sides of motor relay measure 120 VAC when PTS is pressed and held

6. 48 VDC measured from P2-7 to P3-2

7. Door switch confirmed electrically continuous when closed

I replaced the motor relay per the tech sheet recommendations and it did not help.

The next step in the tech sheet is to replace the motor.

I would like to confirm is there anything else to test before I replace the motor? Is there another way to test the motor before I order a replacement? E.g can I just take it out and apply 120 to it and see what happens?

And finally, if I need to order a new motor, where can I buy it and find a video on replacing it?

Thank you
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceaid1  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2024 12:11:31 PM(UTC)
applianceaid1

Groups: Senior Expert
Canada

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hi,

**When I push start it makes a subtle sound for several seconds kind of like a pendulum quickly swinging on a clock.**

Any idea where this noise is coming from?

Does sounds like the motor is a very possible trouble maker.
https://www.applianceaid...dryer-motor-problems.php Some helps and tips.

jeff sr.
Appliance Repair Aid
https://www.applianceaid.com/
applianceaid1  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2024 12:12:06 PM(UTC)
applianceaid1

Canada

LINK> Drive Motor and there is a video help also at the link.

jeff sr.
Appliance Repair Aid
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2024 1:47:28 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thank you!

I started to disassemble my dryer and noticed the belt is broken. Could that be preventing it from starting?

I have it disassembled now, but the motor is still installed. I tested both windings for continuity and they both passed. I'm not sure where to go from here, hoping the broken belt was the issue?

I also have another question, not sure if it's related. For the last year or so the dryer has been drying clothes very slowly. We keep the lint screen very clean and the vents have never been clogged. I even took out the drum once and cleaned every spec of lint out of the entire machine. It didn't help. I have no idea what could cause it to suddenly dry clothes much slower than it has in the past. Any ideas what could cause this?

Edited by user Saturday, June 29, 2024 2:15:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added info

applianceaid1  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2024 7:19:11 PM(UTC)
applianceaid1

Canada

**I started to disassemble my dryer and noticed the belt is broken. Could that be preventing it from starting?**

Yes a broken belt will stop the dryer from running....but normally on your style dryer it shuts off completely as there is a broken belt switch that stops the motor from running if the belt breaks...but stranger things have happened.

LINK> Dryer Drive belt.

**I'm not sure where to go from here**

I'd jury rig the broken belt switch to make the dryer thinks the belt is in place and run the motor only too see how it works and sounds. If all seems well, replace the belt.

**I also have another question, not sure if it's related. For the last year or so the dryer has been drying clothes very slowly.**

A copy:

Q: Dryer takes too long to dry or multiple times to dry a load.

A1: Pull the dryer out away from the wall. Unhook the vent from the dryer completely. Do not put anything over the dryer exhaust on the back of the dryer. Do a normal load with the vent unhooked. If it dries better or ok like this then the problem is in the dryer venting. Like a blocked vent pipe or a smashed or restricted vent hose.

A2: If the vent doesn't make a difference, then check the blower wheel for excessive lint build up, check that there isn't anything stuck to the air intake baffle inside the drum, (i.e. the screen on the back wall of the dryer when looking into the drum). Check the lint filter chute for blockage. Check that the heating element isn't shorted to ground. Check the exhaust temperature of the dryer. A Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer with Stainless Steel Probe or pocket thermometer can be used for this. It should cycle approx between 120 degrees and 160 degrees (without clothes). Check that the drum seals are not worn out.

jeff sr.

Edited by user Saturday, June 29, 2024 7:19:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Appliance Repair Aid