Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
attim0de  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2024 8:07:31 AM(UTC)
attim0de

Groups: Registered
United States

I was having issues with clothes not getting dry and completely cleaned the ducts which seemed to help, but not fully resolve the problem. The dyer is a Samsung DV328AGW with propane heat. I cut a viewing hole in the front and sealed it with a clear window to observe the flame and found that the heat was only running for about 10 seconds. The dryer continues to run without issue once the flame shuts off and the flame will come back on once every minute or 2.

I've replaced the following to try and diag:
- Thermistor (OE Samsung part)
- Flame-out sensor (2X Amazon parts)
- Coils (Amazon part)
- High temp sensor (on heating barrel, Amazon part)
- Ignitor (Amazon part, seems to be working fine)

After swapping out all of these I'm still getting the same result so I'm now at a loss on what it could be. I guess it's possible that a new replacement could be bad, but so far swapping all of these sensors has changed absolutely nothing. It's my understanding that the flame is supposed to run for 1-2 minutes before shutting off, is that correct? The clothes are drying better due to cleaning the duct but a load of towels for example still takes 2 cycles so it seems that something is still off.

Here's a video of the flame:
https://youtube.com/shor...ABkU?si=0qLMoBvX2f7LA0vH

Any insights are much appreciated

Edited by user Thursday, June 13, 2024 6:13:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceaid1  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2024 8:05:21 PM(UTC)
applianceaid1

Groups: Senior Expert
Canada

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi,

Is that flame always that yellow?

**the flame and found that the heat was only running for about 10 seconds.**

Have you found out what is shutting the flame off?

Poor air flow in the dryer, venting could easily allow the safety sensor/thermostat to shut off the flame.
What part#'s are you ordering....Amazon (JMO) parts are not the most reliable!!

jeff sr.
Appliance Repair Aid
https://www.applianceaid.com/
attim0de  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2024 4:34:41 AM(UTC)
attim0de

United States

It's always been that yellow since I've installed the sight window, but I was never able to view it when it was working correctly so I'm not sure if it's right.

I'm at a loss as to what is shutting the flame off. At this point I can be confident that it's not the Thermistor or Flame-out sensor. The other sensors that I replaced could potentially not be working right, but they all looked OK when I metered them.

I ran the dryer without any sort of exhaust vent hooked up and got the same result. I'm confident that the pipe internal to the dryer is all cleaned out.
applianceaid1  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2024 5:55:34 AM(UTC)
applianceaid1

Canada

**I ran the dryer without any sort of exhaust vent hooked up and got the same result. I'm confident that the pipe internal to the dryer is all cleaned out.**

Lint filter also? https://www.applianceaid...ryer-lint-filter-tip.php
Fan blower housing, fan blower also?

**The other sensors that I replaced could potentially not be working right, but they all looked OK when I metered them.**

The hard part is testing something as soon as it has fails.

jeff sr.
Appliance Repair Aid
attim0de  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2024 12:49:38 PM(UTC)
attim0de

United States

I scrubbed down the lint screen as shown in the link and it actually did make a difference. The first flame of the cycle is now staying on for about 18 seconds but then goes to 10 seconds.

I'm wondering if this dryer is just made to cycle more often and for shorter durations. Everything I'm reading says that it should be on for 1-2 minutes which is why it still feels like there's a problem.
applianceaid1  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2024 7:15:27 PM(UTC)
applianceaid1

Canada

Try with some damp clothing to see if the cycle changes.
*Normally* speaking no gas dryer flame just stays on for 10 seconds and then shuts off....a minute or two would/should be more normal to me.

jeff sr.
Appliance Repair Aid
attim0de  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2024 7:16:17 AM(UTC)
attim0de

United States

Unfortunately this didn't seem to help. Someone suggested that the centrifugal switch on the motor might be bad or filled with lint. I also haven't touched the moisture sensors yet. Do you think that either of those might be causing the problem?
applianceaid1  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2024 1:19:38 PM(UTC)
applianceaid1

Canada

**Someone suggested that the centrifugal switch on the motor might be bad or filled with lint.**

That would prevent any heat from working. The centrifugal switch is a safety device and must close for any heat to work.

**I also haven't touched the moisture sensors yet. Do you think that either of those might be causing the problem?**

There are no moisture sensors, there is 2 metal bars and the wet clothes falling across them shorts out so the control can tell how dry or damp the clothes are. Dirty or coated bars can effect the auto or sensor cycles from advancing and shuts off the dryer too soon. Those shouldn't effect the times dry cycle at all. The normally won't make the flame cycle off too soon, but they can make the dryer shut off too soon.

jeff sr.
Appliance Repair Aid
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply