Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dieselgg  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2024 6:29:18 AM(UTC)
dieselgg

Groups: Registered

Hi,

My mom has a Kenmore top loader washing machine with p/n W10338639, which is more than 10 years old.

The washer won't agitate. It makes a hum sound every second. I removed the back cover and there are no obstructions. I can move the tube freely back and froth with my hand. But when I start the washer, the tub moves ever so slightly. The lid switch seems to be working fine.
When the washer is not in use, the WASH LED flashes.
And the spin cycle works.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps the coupler or the transmission is faulty.

Regards,
Gus

Edited by user Saturday, May 18, 2024 8:06:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

WilliamM/APP Team  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2024 12:21:43 PM(UTC)
WilliamM/APP Team

Groups: Moderators, APP Team, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Dieselgg, thank you for your post. If the model number of your appliance could be provided, this will allow the most accurate information to be presented.
dieselgg  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2024 3:12:18 PM(UTC)
dieselgg

Hi,

Sorry the model number is 110.21292013.

To recap, it won’t agitate but it spins and drains the water.

When I hold the agitator from the top and move the bottom (fins), clockwise the tub and top agitator move together. If I move the bottom counter clockwise while holding the top agitator, the bottom agitator seems to spin freely.with some movement of the tub.

If i just hold the agitator from the top and spin it clockwise, the top spins freely and the tub does not rotate. If I turn it counter clockwise, the top agitator spins together with the bottom agitator and the tub.

I replaced the cogs today, but we dropped a towel in at the bottom and the towel did not move after about 10 seconds of wash operation. I just hear the motor do its thing,

Regards,
Gus

Edited by user Sunday, May 19, 2024 11:31:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WilliamM/APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2024 6:57:25 AM(UTC)
WilliamM/APP Team

Groups: Moderators, APP Team, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Dieselgg, the belt pulley on the gearcase would need to be inspected for any damaged teeth that may be causing it to not rotate the agitator shaft. If it is damaged, the drive clutch kit AP5951296 would need to be replaced.
dieselgg  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2024 2:13:40 PM(UTC)
dieselgg

I guess that will be my next step. Would a new belt need to be ordered along with the clutch kit?

I inspected the spline on the agitator and it does not look worn at all. It was a bit rusted, so I had to tap at a bit to pull it out with some force.

I will keep you updated.

I am not able to attach pics of the spline as I do not have an http link to provide them from.

Regards,
Gus

Edited by user Thursday, May 23, 2024 6:37:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified