Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lwmi5870  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 9, 2024 1:25:21 PM(UTC)
lwmi5870

Groups: Registered

Hello. I've got a Kenmore (Whirlpool) 80 Series washer that has been a dependable appliance for many years. Recently we noticed it started producing a burning smell when it enters the fast speed during a cycle. It does not have a burning smell during the slow cycle. So today I started a cycle and as soon as it entered the fast speed and the burning smell started, I stopped it and switched the speed to slow, however it would continue to run at the fast speed. I finally got it to run slow again by turning the speed switch to ultra slow then back to slow. The second thing that we have noticed is that there's a clicking noise for a split second every time the motor starts, but the noise only lasts for a split second and it will not make the noise until the motor stops and has to start again. Other than these two things, everything else works fine.

Here's what I have done so far: 1) Checked resistance of the windings of the motor, they all come out fine. 2) Replaced the speed switch, but it did not make any difference. 3) Checked the motor capacitor which so far tested OK.

Any ideas of what else I can look at, or any idea of what could be wrong here? Based on the fact there's a burning smell, I am guessing it's related to the motor, but not sure what exactly.

Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.