Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cyberdingo  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2024 6:26:19 PM(UTC)
cyberdingo

Groups: Registered
United States

My 20+ year old Kenmore (110.66712694) stopped heating, so I took it apart and tested all components with my multimeter (all seem to pass). However, I noticed the wire going to the cycling thermostat was in really bad shape, and as soon as I touched it, it started falling apart.

I have a ratcheting crimp tool, but I haven't been able to find the proper size spade terminal connector, and I'm not sure I can trust some cheap assortment kit from Amazon. Any recommendations would be really appreciated.

I also wonder if the rest of the wiring harness is safe considering I see corrosion on the failed wire (but visually everything else looks ok). Doesn't look like a replacement wiring harness is available anymore.

I do have a new heating element and thermostat, but do wonder how I can protect myself from this type of failure since a fuse isn't going to stop this potentially catastrophic event.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

WilliamM/APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2024 8:41:44 AM(UTC)
WilliamM/APP Team

Groups: Moderators, APP Team, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Cyberdingo, this is often caused by the terminal becoming loose on the terminal and creating an arc. The heating element wire kit 279457/AP3134638 can be used to repair the wire. https://www.appliancepar...ng-279457-ap3134638.html
thanks 1 user thanked WilliamM/APP Team for this useful post.
cyberdingo on 3/7/2024(UTC)
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2024 8:41:45 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Over the years and quite a few electric dryers back I have seen the exact same problem at these connections . The FASTON type of connector used is a larger one than is normally available in wiring kits. Most of the wiring kits have a .25" type of female connector to fit the corresponding .25" male blade. The ideal connector to use is a slightly larger one and some electrical repair shops may have these but you will have to search really hard to find a shop that has some.. I have one or two but I guard them since they are hard to find.!!! I have also done a repair3Y7QSnsd using the .25"size FASTON but will not put it in print since it is not an accepted safe practice.
cyberdingo  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2024 9:05:24 PM(UTC)
cyberdingo

United States

Thanks for the responses, the arcing explanation makes sense. I went to Advanced Auto and Lowes since they offer various kits with connectors which visually would look like they would fit nicely, although these posts have me wonder. Is the thermostat terminal compatible with this linked jumper wire kit, and is there usually a difference in these connectors amp/voltage wise? I'd like to use the connectors I have just to get this thing back up and running ASAP, but obviously don't want to create a hazard if there is a difference in materials.
WilliamM/APP Team  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2024 4:26:01 AM(UTC)
WilliamM/APP Team

Groups: Moderators, APP Team, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Generally speaking, a properly sized hi-temp uninsulated terminal will work just fine.
cyberdingo  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2024 11:18:31 AM(UTC)
cyberdingo

United States

I just realized the spare cycling thermostat I have (3387134) has 4 terminals, the one I took out only has 2, can't remember if I've replaced it before (but no spare wiring dangling).

So I was about to order one from this site, but it looks like this one has 4 terminals as well. Can I use these at all or do I have the wrong part # for my dryer?

Edited by user Friday, March 8, 2024 11:28:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply