Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andy Douglass  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2024 2:06:07 PM(UTC)
Andy Douglass

Groups: Registered

#VGCC530 is over 10 years old, converted to propane from LNG 2 year ago. Oven/Broiler stopped working yesterday while cooking at low temps. Everything else (conv. fan, light, top burners) work fine.

I have tested/verified the following:

120v to Oven Control
1000+ ohm resistance at RTD (measured at connections on Oven Control Board)
120v output from Oven Control to Spark Module Bake Pin when Oven Control is set to bake.
120v output from Oven Control to Spark Module Broil Pin when Oven Control is set to broil.

It seems to me that this would all point to a problem with the spark module, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot that.

The service manual wants me to do some tests I don't understand to rule out the oven control board. After verifying 120v to Oven Control, it wants me to verify .5v from H2 (point on spark module which is connected to oven control) to S1 (output point on spark module to bake solenoid) while the Oven Control is set to off, then verify 7.5v H2 to S1 when the oven control is set to 350 degrees. What I don't understand is how to test that with the multimeter as H2 will be carrying 120v when oven control set to 350 degrees, and S1 is on the output side of the spark module, and per the test is supposed to be getting 7.5v. Why would you test that point S1 is getting 7.5v by connecting the other lead to a point that is supposed to be at 120v? Wouldn't you just test it by putting the hot lead from multimeter on S1 and the neutral lead on a neutral point?

I also don't understand how that test pertains to the Oven Control, since per the service manual, the Oven Control is supposed to send 120v to Spark Module when Bake or Broil selected. I don't get how verifying that a point on the output side of the Spark module is getting the right voltage is the proper way to test that the oven control is sending voltage to the input side of the Spark Module. Wouldn't you just verify that the oven control to spark module reads 120v when it is set to bake, like I did?

Thanks for any help,
Andy

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.