Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aheroncrew  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2023 1:02:46 PM(UTC)
aheroncrew

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi! Long time reader and user of Appliance Parts Pros.

Bottom Line Up Front:
I have a GE Quietpower 3 (model GLD4560N10SS) that is about 15 years old. It is not filling up with water when the "Start" button is pressed. I have just replaced the Water Inlet Valve, but I am getting the same results. I am at a loss as to what to check next.

Backstory:
Our dishwasher is run multiple times a week with full loads of dishes. Inside is kept clean, filters are relatively clean, and we have used the same brand of powdered detergent in pods for at least a few years now. A few weeks ago, the dishwasher leaked out the front along the bottom of the door. After reading on Appliance Parts Pros, I replaced the Lower Door Seal and the Tub Gasket (just because the old one was twisted around badly on one side, and I figured why not). The problem seemed to go away, but 2-3 weeks later, it leaked again. Twice recently, the door was opened during running to add/remove something or another, and water spilled out when that happened. I didn't think anything of it, but opening the door in the past would not cause water to spill out the front.

This week, the dishwasher leaked again, and when opened, the water level seemed unusually high (above the level of the flood switch actuator). I checked the continuity of the flood switch, and it checked OK. The float is free of debris and moves freely. At this time, I also noted that the water inlet ran water even after the door was opened.

Now to the mistake that I made. After testing the flood switch, I placed a jumper in the connector (while the flood switch was removed), turned on the unit, and started a rinse cycle. Everything ran like normal (including water entering the tub). I removed one leg of the jumper, but I could still hear the water inlet valve letting in water. While I was puzzling over this, my hand drifted and I let my jumper touch the front panel of the dishwasher. >ZAP<. This caused a spark and the unit stopped. I removed the jumper and replaced the parts. After turning the power on and off, I started another cycle but the water will not start.

Since then, the dishwasher presents, beeps, and sounds like everything is fine except that water never enters the dishwasher. I replaced the Water Inlet Valve today, but the symptoms stay the same.

When I shorted the flood switch harness to the front door, the wire was connected to the side of the harness that connects to the water inlet valve.

• Could something else in line have been zapped besides the Water Inlet Valve?
  • Is there a way to run general diagnoses on this model?
  • What do I troubleshoot next?

I'd appreciate some insight an guidance. I haven't been saving for a new appliance, and I'd like to get this one fixed and working again.

Thank you for reading this far!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.