Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guest (Ben)  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2023 5:34:49 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I bought a home in 2019 that came with a 48inch, 6-burner, dual-fuel double oven Viking range (Model Number: VGR48-6G-BK). Based on the serial number, I believe it to be 19 years old. I am an avid cook/baker and the unit has treated me very well for the last four year but a few issues with it have cropped up lately (I don’t know if they are related or not).

1) About a year ago, the ignitor stopped working (for all six burners). Fully turning any burner knob results in one “click” sound. It’s very easy to simply light burners with a candle lighter so this isn’t a big deal for me. On 2-3 occasions, the ignitor starts working again for a bit (a day or two). It has been at least six months since this happened last. Again, this isn’t a major inconvenience for me, I am including this here simply for context because it was the first ‘symptom’ and I wonder if all three issues are somehow related.
2) About six months ago, the broiler in the right oven (the electric oven) stopped working. While I use the broiler once or twice a month, it hasn’t been too inconvenient. We recently replaced our dishwasher and fridge, so an expensive broiler repair has fallen down the ‘have fixed list’.
3) Last week, when using both ovens simultaneously, I noticed that the right/electric oven wasn’t as hot as it should have been. It DOES heat up, but not to the prescribed temperature. I set it to 450F last night and let it preheat with a thermometer inside. After 35 minutes, the oven was only heated to 295F. I use both ovens frequently, so this issue IS something I need to figure out.

Buying a new range would be crippling to my home budget so I would like to try and fix/get this issue fixed and squeeze out another 2-4 years out of the unit. Fixing it myself would be the cheapest option so I am starting here in hopes that a resident expert might be able to identify the issue(s) or, at least, provide a best guess at what to work on/replace first. If these are separate issues, I can certainly live without a working ignitor and broiler. I am happy to provide any further detail if it is needed.
Thanks in advance for any tips!

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.