Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sarahs  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 13, 2023 5:55:33 PM(UTC)
sarahs

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore washer (series 80 110.92284100- bought 1993) had an issue where the washer would agitate fine but not spin. Opened the cover up and put it in the spin mode and could hear the motor but could not see the clutch hub turning. On removal the clutch was fine and so was the coupling. Took the transmission apart and found that the shoulder pawl stud that is part of the neutral drain assembly had sheared off and part of it was still embedded in the gear. As the washing machine is 30 years old, I figured it was time for a new transmission so got a new OEM Whirlpool transmission and installed that along with a new coupling even though the existing coupling was only 4 years old and was fine.

Everything seemed to run fine for a few days. However, the clunk sound that I assume comes as part of the neutral drain cycle was noticeably loud. After the first few days noticed that during the drain cycle the drum was spinning even though that did not happen the first time I ran it with the new transmission.

So ran another load but a light one with the water level at the lowest and this time the neutral drain worked fine with no spinning while it was draining. Then ran another normal load with the water level at the mid point and had the same issue with it starting to spin while draining.

Not sure why I am having this intermittent issue with the neutral drain not working. The transmission was definitely brand new from a reputable vendor. Could this still be a problem with the new transmission or could it be the timer or something else altogether? If it was the transmission why would it be intermittent? If it is the timer, how should I troubleshoot that?

Thanks.

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.