Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ronvf  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2023 4:03:52 PM(UTC)
ronvf

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag SE7800 washer dryer combo. 30 years old. Has been great but the other day my son was doing his laundry and we had a puddle of water at the base and the tub was full of water. After I hand drained, pulled the cloths out and inspected I found the water pump belt was broke. I replaced both belts and did a no cloth test run. Filled, agitated and rinsed fine but when it came to the final spin cycle the unit would shut down fairly quickly and before the water was drained. I suspect the motor was getting to hot and a thermal switch would shut it down until it cools. Once it cools I had to try multiple time to get it to empty, which I was able to do by starting and stopping multiple times. Once the tub is empty it seems to spin and work fine.
Because of its age I don’t want to spend to much money trouble shooting but the other option is to replace it at over $2000 for something they tell me I might get 10-12 years out of if I’m lucky.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2023 12:54:51 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Did you use the right Maytag belts? The drive belt has to be able to slip until the water is pumped out and the basket is lighter. Its got a special cloth covering to allow it to slip with out burning up.

Did you check inside the pump and make sure that is was clear and turned easily? Where did the water come from?

The motor could be having problems. Did you check its bearings for play and to see if it turns hard? Also the motor needs to be able to slide easily forward and backwards

It could also be the main bearing and water seal. It might be leaking at the seal and and damaging the bearing making it hard to turn.

It all depends How much money and time you are willing to spend on a 30 year old machine, You definitely got your moneys worth out of it. The average life of most Appliances is 10 to 15 years.

https://www.appliancepar...-12002351-ap4010201.html

https://www.appliancepar...s-for-maytag-se7800.html
ronvf  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2023 1:09:12 PM(UTC)
ronvf

Groups: Registered

I am thinking my son may have overfilled the tub. I took everything apart, everything looks fine. Electric motor runs fine and belts are as they should be. (When there is no water during the spin cycle.)
At this point I’m throwing in the towel..
ordering the new Electrolux units tomorrow.
Thanks for the reply.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply