Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2022 1:54:20 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
We bought a new Kenmore washer and dryer from Sears, probably 10 years ago. Living off-grid we had only enough system capacity at the time to run the washer, so the dryer stayed in storage until just recently when we upgraded our system. In the process of installing the orifice for LP conversion I broke the igniter and so ordered another one to replace it. Everything is back together and the dryer is installed, but it has no heat. The burner never ignites. The gas line is purged of air and I've tried running it on and off all morning with no success. So I took it back apart (the door switch is still connected) to find out that the ignitor is not glowing. Probing the igniter's connector, it appears that there's a very brief (and large) bump in voltage when START is pressed, but it then immediately drops to some number of millivolts. Basically nothing. The neutral side of the igniter has continuity all the way back to the mains plug once the drum starts turning so I assume the centrifugal switch on the motor is fine. But the hot side has virtually nothing. The flame detector and both thermostats check out fine. Then I located the official diagnostic test, ran through it, and made it to the end where it's checking the resistance of the igniter -- which for the part (5318EL3001A) should be 100-800 ohms. Mine reads 52. I'm starting to think I got the wrong (or a defective) igniter and that the control board is shutting it down immediately because it's drawing more current than it thinks is correct. The igniter I got had the correct part number on the box, looked exactly the same as the old one, but I did buy it from eBay. It appears to have never been installed before.

Does anyone have any experience with this model/problem? Aside from ordering another igniter from a more reputable source and checking it out, is there anything else I should try? This is a brand new, out-of-the-box dryer which, prior to today, has never even been plugged it. Sure seems like it should be fine, with the only questionable issue being my replacement of the igniter.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.