Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2022 7:33:59 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have a GE gas oven (model PGB960SEJ4SS). The oven would preheat but not turn on again after the preheat cycle was completed (until the temperature dropped below 175F). I replaced the control board and the temperature sensor. The oven is working 'somewhat' better. Now, after the preheat cycle is complete, it tries to maintain the temperature by cycling the burner, but it is doing a very poor job of it.

Scenario:
1) Set temperature to 350F. Oven preheats and burner turns off.
2) Oven door is opened to put something in, this takes a bit and oven drops temperature.
3) Oven tries to return to 350F, but can't get there very fast (it can take over an hour to get back to the set temperature).

What I notice:
The oven cycles the burner in a very specific pattern. The relay to the burner shuts off and stays off for exactly 2 minutes. The relay turns on and stays on for 75 seconds and then turns off. This pattern repeats until the oven returns to the set temperature. When the relay turns on, it takes between 55 and 60 seconds for the gas valve to open and the burner to turn on. Because the igniter is only on for 75 seconds, the burner is only operating for at most 20 seconds at of every 3 1/4 minutes. Because of this, the oven struggles to get back to the preheat temperature.

I am using a digital thermometer to measure temperature. It may not be 100% accurate, but it is good enough to see this behavior and see the correct behavior when it eventually reaches the desired temperature.

Question: Is this how GE oven's are supposed to work? Or, is the igniter going bad? Should the igniter have turned on quicker allowing more time for the gas to be on for every cycle?

Additional information: This problem is for the upper oven only. The lower oven works just fine. In the lower oven, if the door is opened and the temperature drops, when the door closes the burner will ignite and stay lit until the temperature gets back to the set value.

Edited by user Friday, December 2, 2022 7:38:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Add additional information about lower oven

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.