Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ben Lurkin  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 7:53:12 PM(UTC)
Ben Lurkin

Groups: Registered

I've checked all the electrical components with my ohmmeter and the they all are within spec. according to the information sheet that came with the dryer. The ignition cycle works every time. The gas, however, initially comes on then goes out; after that, it doesn't come on at all.

I'm guessing maybe the thermostat (I hope it isn't the valves) is the problem, but I hate to troubleshoot it by throwing parts at it. Any suggestions on how to narrow this down further?

Much appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Ben Lurkin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:21:56 AM(UTC)
Ben Lurkin

Groups: Registered

No responses? Figures. . . .:mad:

After talking with the local parts guys, here's how one decides if it's the thermostat or the coils when they all test 'good' with the ohmmeter. . .

This assumes the ignitor cycle is functioning properly as noted above in my initial post.

Remove the thermostat. with the ohmmeter, check to ensure continuity while it is cool. With the meter still attached, heat the metal disk with a lighter (be careful not to burn yourself) for a few monents. You should hear an audible click and the meter will show the circuit as open. Let it cool for a bit and it will close the circuit again if it is functioning properly as shown on the ohmmeter. So this is just an on-off switch controlled by heat.

If this checks out, it is the coils; even if they read ok with the ohmmeter. They explained they occasionally break down shortly after current is applied and therefore will not operate the valves properly. This was the problem in my case. Note that MAYTAG does not sell a coil kit for their dryers. However, all the manufacturers apparently use the same valve and the coil kits are available from other applications. They were a whole $16 for both the three and two-prong coils.:cool:

Hopefully this helps someone else.
Gene  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:26:36 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your diagnosis and repair with us. Your post was very illuminating and instructive. Good luck with your dryer.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply