Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zacarab  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2022 6:40:27 PM(UTC)
zacarab

Groups: Registered
United States

Frigidaire Model FRT21IL4FW8 not cooling.
Was running 6 months ago keeping soda beverages (soda, beer, water) cool while I renovated a house. When the new appliances arrived, I disconnected this fridge and let it sit for the last 5 months. Unsure how old the unit itself is as we inherited the house. It was a rental and the renter did not complain about it. Removed from house, down 5 stairs on a hand truck (two people, we were pretty careful with it), transported 20 miles on trailer and rolled into the basement. Used a hand truck to load and unload. Max angle unit was at was probably more than 45 degrees off vertical. Transport on trailer was vertical. Was never laid on its back or side. Unfortunately, my overzealous significant other immediately plugged it in. About 2 hours later I realized what had been done and checked to see if it was cooling; It wasn't although they claimed it was when they were cleaning the interior. Checked the thermostat settings, they were set for normal cooling, but I cranked them both to coldest – no help from doing that either. So, I unplugged and let it sit overnight. The next day plugged in and 20 minutes later - no cooling. Fan in the freezer just moving air. Fan for the exterior coils is running. I next cleaned the coils on the exterior near the compressor, they were pretty dirty. The fan for these coils is working, but I cleaned fan blades up also. no help with the cooling problem there. Next, I pulled the start capacitor and checked it... 15.3 micro ferrets, just like it should be. Next, I checked the defrost timer. for a fraction of its cycle the fans and compressor do not run, the rest of its cycle the fans and compressor run, at least it appears the compressor runs (small vibration and it is warm to the touch but not hot). I checked the resistance across the motor 5 ohms . Seems reasonable. I disconnected the wires (two) from the fan for the exterior coils, plugged the unit in to the wall and then connected the compressor wiring and it felt like the compressor started (vibration) - I suppose I could check for voltage to the motor, but I am 98% confident given the change in state when I plugged it in that it is running – I had disconnected the coil fan because I thought it might be creating the vibration I felt, but I think the compressor motor is running as a result of this test (I put a amp meter on it and prove that couldn’t I - about 11+ amps as it starts, settling to 0.58 amps a minute later). coils outside the refrigerator do not get warm, if anything it is conductive heat from the compressor, comparing the coil warmth to another refrigerator, the other fridge's coils get much warmer. Thermostat in fridge seems to work as setting switch to off shuts unit down, upon turning CW, fans and compressor start running – checked with ohm meter, the thermostat is making/breaking a connection. Is there anything else I should be checking? I am thinking that I have lost coolant, probably during transportation or while it sat (should have checked it before moving it out of the renovation house). If I lost coolant, it makes no sense to try to find someone to recharge it (if anyone would do that to a fridge in the first place) – right? Any other ideas to resurrect from the dead. Oh it has a icemaker, but I doubt that makes any difference here – water supply is not hooked up.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.