Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fran_Ko  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2022 12:56:48 PM(UTC)
Fran_Ko

Groups: Registered
United States

I have an old Whirlpool LGR5620KQ1 gas dryer that I have successfully repaired in the past by replacing fuses and thoroughly cleaning. I'd like to keep it running if I can for as long as I can.

However, it has just begun to stop running. When I select any timer setting and press start, it buzzes as long as the start button is down, but the dryer won't run when I release it.

I followed the suggestions on this site to try to isolate the problem. I first checked the door switch and then the fuses inside, along with the thermometers. I then checked the start switch. All checked out.

I couldn't find a lot of information on the timer dial, but I removed it and checked that the resistance on the red and black wires, after removing the connector, showed continuity when the dial was in the expected positions. I'm a bit fuzzy on precisely what should show at what setting, but it seemed right to this amateur. I suspect that I may not have completely tested this correctly, and the part is expensive enough that I don't want to just buy one without some certainty that replacing it will fix the problem.

The fact that the buzzer sounds when I press start has me perplexed, it seems like it might mean that the timer is the most likely problem, but I don't know if that is correct. Could it be the motor or some part of the burner section causing it?

I haven't messed with motors for decades and I have never done anything with a gas burner, so I am cautious about messing with them. I've done lots of electrical work and repairs, so I'm OK with those kinds of repairs. Any ideas on what to do next to figure out what need replaced or repaired?

Thanks!
~~franko
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.