Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billdz55  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2020 8:57:39 AM(UTC)
billdz55

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

My GE has had previous issues with the evaporator fan and condenser, but it has been working OK recently. However, today I noticed that ice had formed around a tube coming from the condenser, as shown in the photo at https://photos.app.goo.gl/DPVuDTYWtgn3erEe9 . Melting ice from this formation is dripping down and forming a blue green film. What could be causing this, and is there a possible repair?

Temperatures are normal in both the freezer and fresh food compartments. The evaporator fan and condenser were replaced a year or two ago. The fan is spinning and the condenser is warm to the touch.

Thanks for any advice,
Bill

Edited by user Tuesday, December 29, 2020 9:24:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

billdz55  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2020 2:22:06 PM(UTC)
billdz55

United States

I left the house for a couple of hours, and when I returned the ice around the tube was gone without a trace. What could be going on?
billdz55  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2020 9:23:19 AM(UTC)
billdz55

United States

And now the ice around the tube is back. I watched closely, it starts with water forming around the tube, seems to be condensation rather than a leak, then it freezes, then the ice is gone a few hours later, the cycle keeps repeating. Anyone have any thoughts at all?
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2020 4:40:31 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
You have a couple of possibilities here. The sealed system is slightly over charged. Too much freon will flood back to the compressor and frost the low side line.

The other possibility is the coils in the freezer are freezing up and not being defrosted. You should notice frost forming on the back wall inside the freezer. That means you have a defrost problem.
billdz55  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2021 6:27:25 PM(UTC)
billdz55

United States

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
You have a couple of possibilities here. The sealed system is slightly over charged. Too much freon will flood back to the compressor and frost the low side line.

The other possibility is the coils in the freezer are freezing up and not being defrosted. You should notice frost forming on the back wall inside the freezer. That means you have a defrost problem.

Just saw your reply, thank you. No frost on the back wall.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply