Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
androvia  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2020 3:04:17 PM(UTC)
androvia

Groups: Registered
Canada

Appliance:
Jenn-Air C200-c electric cooktop (radiant coil burners), at least 25-30 years old.
Problem:
No burners work at all, nor fan nor burner indicator light.
Background:
A years-old wiring snafu had left the left-side burners reversed from their correct burner switches. While starting to correct it thinking I had disconnected the unit (long story but basically there was a sub-panel I wasn't aware of), I started to lift the burner switch panel cover. Loud pop. Did a better job of removing power, lifted the cover and saw that I had shorted the right-side terminals on one of the right-hand burner switches against the frame. Signs of strong arcing on terminals and frame. Found sub-panel with its breaker tripped. Checked the range's four-receptacle fuse box. Two of four fuses were burned out. Replaced them, restored power and tested. No heat on any burner. Checked for voltage across various of the terminals on all four burner switches. Could not find any voltage at all. Checked electrical input in box below cooktop (contains wires coming from fuse box) looking for other damage or another fuse. Everything looked OK. On reassembling and turning on, still no heat nor sign of any power. Burner indicator light not coming on, and fan not working either.
Tested for power to fuse box. 45 V coming to each of the two fuse receptacles that had blown. The third was showing 120 V. Fourth showing no voltage and may not be connected even though it has a fuse.

Ideas? There seems to be no power finding its way to any of the switches. Could all of the burner switches be burned out? Seems unlikely. I can't explain the low voltage at two of the fuse receptacles, but that seems unlikely to explain everything, whatever is causing it. What other damage may I have caused? Could there be another fuse within the range unit itself somewhere?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.