Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jmunjr  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2020 3:55:45 PM(UTC)
jmunjr

Groups: Registered
United States

Newbie here. Thank you for this forum! I just got into a rental home and the microwave has power but will not heat. I did notice that the typical "buzz" that comes on after starting it up was not present. Not sure if that means anything.

I'm a complete novice but I got a multimeter and tested various items in the unit. Last was the magnetron and I tried a continuity test. Between the terminals I get continuity and I also get continuity between each terminal and the housing, which I believe is not supposed to happen and may mean it needs to be replaced. There doesn't seem to be anything visibly wrong with it though.

Before the magnetron I tested continuity on the fuse and it is good, reading 0.0. I tested the capacitor and got no continuity, which is good and on resistance I got Over Limit readings on all settings incl 20K.

I also tested the diode using a 9V battery and the diode gave me about 6.3V while the 9v directly gave me ~9.5V, so looks good there.

Should I replace the magnetron or should I do more testing?

Thank you!

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.