Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgleason  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2020 6:19:46 AM(UTC)
kgleason

Groups: Registered
United States

I have a GE PTDN600EM0WT electric dryer.

A few days ago it stopped heating up. I didn't think to test to see if all of the cycles were having the same issue. I assumed (seemingly incorrectly) that they did. This morning I realized that timed dry is heating up great, but auto dry still is not working.

Here's everything I've done so far:

1. Tested the vent for blockage. Didn't find any but cleaned it out for good measure.
  2. Took out the drum, and tested all of the thermostats and relays I could see inside the unit. Everything had continuity as one would expect. I did not remove any of the electronics from the dryer, so I didn't do anything like shake the thermostats while testing for continuity.
  3. Tested the dryer on automatic while not connected to the vent. No heat
  4. Tested the dryer on timed dry while not connected to the vent. Heat.

I'm not entirely sure what the issue could be. It seems as if it could be the control panel on the dryer, but I'm not entirely sure.

I see lots of stuff on line about automatic cycle stopping too quickly with clothes being wet, but I don't see a lot about the automatic cycle with my specific symptoms:

• Timed dry works
  • Automatic dry never gets hot, and the cycle runs without stopping. I've not been able to confirm if the timer advances or not, but I strongly suspect that it doesn't.

It seems to me that the issue is that the automatic cycle isn't engaging the heating element properly. Which further seems to indicate an issue with the control board.

I'm mostly looking for a sanity check, or some other thing that I'm missing.

[Edit]After looking on Appliance Parts Pros, it seems like it could be the timer. I'd love to have someone else's thoughts before I drop $100 on that part though.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 21, 2020 6:28:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added now information

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.