Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Natetronn  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 10:17:08 AM(UTC)
Natetronn

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi,

I have a GE GSH25JSRFSS that was icing over. The defrost cycle wasn't working and it was freezing up solid. I opened it up and the thermostat was blown (dark blue innards were popping up and out on one side.) The heater was getting good readings, however.

Not knowing better, I bought a replacement thermostat and it included a new heater and thermometer (thermistor?) too. This from Amazon.

Kind of knowing better, instead of replacing only the blown part, I let someone talk me into replacing all three parts, even though the one was all I thought it would need (should have followed "if not broken don't fix it." until otherwise needed and this to not add possible extra troubleshooting.)

Anyway, now the heater is coming on but, it would seem to be coming on for way too long, as the freezer is being defrosted to the point that the ice melts and the sides get wet etc. I can see the heater runs but, it just runs for too long. Then it stops running for a bit and finally comes back on (the fan) and starts to freeze again; then the fridge and freezer are both fine for a while; until it does the defrost cycle again and the process starts all over.

I'm thinking I need an actual real GE thermistor, not an off brand (note: this is the one on the top of the "radiator" near the thermometer) or maybe even both the thermistor and the thermometer but, not sure? I've since read the thermistors can be wonky, unless genuine GE parts, is that true?

On another website, someone said this and it seems like it's the same issue:

Quote:

Q:
Heres my problem. My refrigerator AND freezer keep going into defrost mode, stay there for too long which causes everything to completely defrost but then it will turn back on with both the fridge and the freezer working. I was told the thermistor is causing this to happen. Is that the case here?
A:
Hello Amanda, a faulty thermistor can cause this reaction. You can find the thermistor on the freezer evaporator coils. To replace this part, you will need to order it here WR55X10025. Best of luck with this repair!

Again, I've since read that these parts off Amazon can be finicky and that's why I wonder if I got a dud.

All that said, my questions, if I may:

Should I just replace the thermistor and see how it goes or should I buy both the thermistor and thermometer at this point? Or could it be another issue all together?

Freezer was working fine, until it started freezing over, which implied the thermostat was bad, which it was; judging by it being blown and the fact that heater got good reading with my multimeter. Now the heater is coming on and works great, just too great so, is it safe to say I got a bad thermistor and the thermometer and heater are fine at this point?

Thank you!

Edited by user Monday, July 6, 2020 10:25:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typo

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.