Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wolffixer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2019 8:11:55 AM(UTC)
wolffixer

Groups: Registered
United States

I am looking at a Kenmore 790.71412400. Gas oven on LP. Stove top functions fine. I am told the oven takes a long time to cook things or doesn't cook consistently.

Operates as follows:
-Hit the button to turn on the oven.
-Igniter starts glowing a few seconds after that.
-About 15 to 20 seconds you hear the valve open and gas start flowing.
-Flame starts right by igniter and slowly lights all the way down that side of the burner then back down the other side. Maybe 3 seconds for the whole burner to light.
-Once lit the burner and flame look normal.

Turning off operation:
-Press button to turn off oven.
-Igniter starts dimming quickly
-Within 3 seconds you see the flame get much smaller as in you can tell the valve "closed"
-However, the flame while it does slowly get smaller, takes about 30 to 35 seconds to fully extinguish.
-It gets lower and lower till just burning at the end near the igniter. The whole time it is shutting off I'd say it sounds like a quite small 2 stroke engine at idle. Just puttering out.

This is what I'm dealing with. I'm not great at smelling propane but I'd say there's a little whiff of it when it starts and shuts off. My initial action was to replace the igniter since I know those go bad so often on my other ovens. But replacing the igniter did nothing to change how the oven started and shut off.

If I made a shot in the dark it looks to me that the gas valve is not opening and closing strongly or immediately. Like slow operation to fully close. I do not know if it is possible for a oven valve to function this way, but I wanted to ask advice before deciding to buy that part or replace the whole thing.

Googling slow oven valve opening and closing gets me nothing but people saying replace the igniter. So hoping for help here if anyone has ideas?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.