Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lizgehring  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2019 7:24:10 AM(UTC)
lizgehring

Groups: Registered
United States

This has been a long and arduous journey. I think this all started quite a few years ago after a lightning strike. the obvious fix to get the compresser running again was to replace the main control board. From there the water dispenser became intermittant and sometimes froze up. We had a repairman replace the ice door as it would melt the ice and freeze up the bin. Years later I just shut the ice off and the water feature just slowly got more finicky at times giving us a little water at time and then just no more. This summer came and I couldnt take it any longer and had 2 repairmen come out. The first said it was too electronic for him, the second said I needed a new door control board, ice, door, auger, ice dispenser motor and not a new water valve because the first said that worked at hi 60$ service visit and a cost of 1500$. And you all know that this type of refrigerator is more than 10K. ACKK #ILookLikeAnEngineer so I said to my self screw it put all my other million dollar projects aside and fix this yourself.

I started with the door control board. no change, return, more blogging, lots of blogging and searching and one site clued me into the upper as he replaced all the other parts step by step but it was this obscure control board that fixed everything. Bingo. replace the upper unit freezer door control board refurbished for 70$. Ding Ding Ding Chicken dinner. Ice maker started making ice, water filter responded, water distributed as normal. But the the ice dispenser was still not moving the auger. But I took it as a win for a couple more months and let it mull in my mind.

Ok now how to fix the auger. I can hear the motor operating but maked the auger position and it wasn't moving, replace ice bucket coupling and auger shaft? You tube a bunch here to see how to take it apart. coupling and shaft seem to grab fine. order shaft as it looks like it looks a little stripped.but turn it around and see how it fits with coupling. Hmm its not the coupling or shaft. maybe its the motor coupling thats stripped. quickly chat with appliancepartspros to cancel order before shipping, yay success.

Ok more you tubes here to get the motor out. Ding Ding Ding it was all iced over and the shaft was unseated. a bit of blow dryer action and melting and put it all back together. Huh I should have recognized this clue, the ice bucket now sets flush, flusher flat. well duh.

Just like brand new and DIY, persistence, patience, searching, and the massive help of the online community. No landfill waste, sustainability. My tenets of design (www.originalgreen.org) , love-ability, durability, frugality, adaptability. Reuse, re-purpose, reduce, repair. Please get away from this frivolous disposable economy.

Best
Liz
www.gehringae.com

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.