Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fridge123fr  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2019 9:31:59 PM(UTC)
fridge123fr

Groups: Registered

Older whirlpool EV160FXK freezer from around the 1990's.

Always worked good but needed a good defrosting now and then.
Last time it needed defrosting was about 5 years ago. This time when it was all frozen over and starting to accumulate inches of snow on the shelves, I slid it out of the garage and just left it open on the driveway for about 36 hours to melt and drain. Plugged it back in, and it sort of sounded like it was struggling to get cold, but about 24 hours later it seemed very cold. I went to put a bottle of water in it about 12 hours after I last checked, to make sure it could freeze water, but it was completely warm, so now I unplugged it afraid something could burn out or something. It was on dial setting 3 or 4 always out of 7, so I plugged it back in on 7 for some hours and tapped on the analog dial in case it would fix a bad connection, but it's not getting cold at all.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fridge123fr  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:32:04 PM(UTC)
fridge123fr

I haven't messed with the freezer for 10 days.

Today I plugged it in and put the dial on 2 of 7 thinking a slow pace might be gentler on the components. The compressor IS running, IS at times possibly a bit clicky/vibrating but I think it's always been like that. Within about 3 minutes of plugging it in, all the shelves have metal coils running through them and the lower shelf was getting cold and frosty. I closed the freezer and came back an hour later and it's not cold at all anymore.

If I turn it off and on again it will get start to get cold but then stops working.

I think something was at end of its lifespan, and fully defrosting the freezer slowly by leaving it on the driveway instead of using a heatgun and scraper caused the freezer to get %100 fully warm - and then it had to work non stop to get back to freezing and that's when something broke from running too much, I guess.
VS maybe maybe if I used a heat gun and buckets and towels it might not have lost all its coldness and might have bounced back safer?

Edited by user Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:18:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

fridge123fr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:14:09 PM(UTC)
fridge123fr

probably will replace it but here's others' input in case it helps here or if anyone has input. thanks

http://forum.partsdr.com...ed&p=12292#post12292

https://appliantology.or...-defrosted/?_fromLogin=1

https://appliancerepairforum.com/Topic63373.aspx

Edited by user Wednesday, September 18, 2019 4:32:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified