Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David L. Mandel  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2019 10:12:08 PM(UTC)
David L. Mandel

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore washer stopped mid-cycle and wouldn’t drain. It showed error code FE, which is said to refer to a problem with the water intake valve. I drained out the tub and ran the diagnostic sequence. The intake valve seemed fine, no error code showed … but the drain pump didn’t activate. No sound or anything.
I removed the drain pump and tested the resistance. It was 16.something, which I believe is OK, despite what it says in the service manual*. It appeared intact and functional (I replaced the pump a couple of years ago) and I could find nothing blocking the hoses nor anything but a little grit in the coin trap. Next I tested the power leads coming to it (with the machine on) and saw zero voltage. So if I was doing it right (I think so but am not completely sure), that must be the problem.
How can I best find where the broken electrical connection, short circuit, etc. is? Following the wires back up they get covered and combined with lots of others, but that seems unlikely anyway. I know one option is to replace the control board, but that’s an expensive part. Is there a way to confirm that’s the location of the problem before I spring for it? And if so, is there ever a way to repair the board without fully replacing it?
Thanks.

*On page 25 of the manual, right column on top:
“Measure the resistance of
the drain pump motor. Is
the resistance between 10
and 20? If yes replace the drain pump assembly.”
I think this should be “if no,” not “if yes.” Correct?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.