Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ndmuscutt  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2018 10:07:36 PM(UTC)
ndmuscutt

Groups: Registered

I purchased a second-hand Kitchenaid KERA807 Architect Series Electric Range.

When I got it home, I found that on the front membrane switch for the oven, several of the buttons did not work. I have included a link HERE to a picture of the membrane switch. On this switch the following buttons would not respond:

CONVECT: Bake, Broil
EASY CONVECT: Meats, Baked Goods, Other Foods
3, 4, 5
Options

Though the Timer buttons worked, there was no audible sound that beeped when the timer ran out. All of the other buttons worked.

So, I ordered a new membrane switch. When I installed the new switch, I tested it out and every button worked and functioned exactly as it was supposed to. (Pretty lame timer alarm, but it worked.) My wife was very happy because now she could use the oven.

The next day she cooked and baked for a better part of the day but when I got home she complained that the Start button was not working well. It sometimes worked, but she had to press it and play around with it multiple times. So I pressed the Start button. It did not work at all. I began to press some of the other buttons and to my disappointment, the following buttons now do not work:

CONVECT: Bake, Broil
TIMER: Set/Start, Off
START

All other buttons seem to work (at least for now).

I then noticed that the clock was not working. So, I tried to set the clock and it would not respond. I then turned the breaker off for about 20 seconds and turned it back on. Again, the clock would not respond. I also noticed that, within a few minutes, the oven was heating up. I looked inside the oven and the top element did not seem to be hot but inside, between the ceiling of the oven and the stove-top heating elements something was glowing red inside. I can't imagine there's an element in there, but something was pretty red inside there and there seemed to be heat emanating. If the broil element is above the oven ceiling, then this was likely the broil element.

Anyway, I went back downstairs and turned the breaker off for about 10 minutes. I turned it back on and the oven had stopped acting strangely and I could set the clock. However, the buttons on the membrane switch are still not responding.

If it were not for the fact that, when I replaced the membrane switch and then they worked fine, I would think it was the Electronic Control Board. I mean, maybe that's what it is, but then why would it work perfectly when I first replaced the Membrane Switch?

HERE is a link to the parts pages to have a look at all of the parts. Also, HERE is a link to the tech sheet that someone provided for me.

Any ideas of what my problem could be? I would appreciate any help since we're stuck with an oven that is useless currently. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.