Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tonyo6543  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 9:32:59 AM(UTC)
tonyo6543

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I'm in the process of replacing my gearcase and I cannot remove the tub. I have been soaking it in liquid wrench for about 18 hours now and it clearly rocks back and forth when I apply some pressure to it as I see the liquid wrench fluid level moving up and down on each side of the gaps. But I cannot pull the tub up. I've been hammering on the top of the gearcase with a 2 x 4 and a hammer as I lift up on the tub to try and drive the gearcase through the tub with no lock. I've seen other threads where WD40 or liquid wrench solves this issue after a while, but I'm having no luck. Any suggestions? I'm attaching two pictures of where I am in case I've missed something obvious.
Thanks,

Tony
[IMG]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx9IUeudjqr8amlpUEJPTkh5Njhka3p1eXhJa2l1R0JldTU4[/IMG]
[IMG]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx9IUeudjqr8amlpUEJPTkh5Njhka3p1eXhJa2l1R0JldTU4[/IMG]
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

thorning  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2018 2:15:20 PM(UTC)
thorning

I am not sure on your model if there is a trick to remove it but sometimes you can rig up a puller using a 2X 4 and a set of clamps to pull up on the tub. I eventually gave up on mine and destroyed it to save the other parts. Heck of a job.
tonyo6543  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2018 9:55:39 AM(UTC)
tonyo6543

I got it. I found a quick video on the web after searching endlessly. I didn't note the link though. The gentlemen used a 2 x 4 on the top of the gearcase and a 2 x 4 cut to just fit inside the washer tub at the top so that it was resting inside the tub at the top and trapped inside. Then used a scissor jack to push the tub up and off the gearcase. It was painless with no damage to the tub. This was after soaking the connection in liquid wrench for a day as previously mentioned. When I inspected the tub, it looks like the very bottom of the bushing has an inner rubber ring that seized onto the shaft and had to be broken free, the gears themselves had all been freed up by the liquid wrench. The rubber at the very bottom of the tub is torn now, we'll see what he long term effect of that is, but the new gearcase is in and running silently.
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2022 4:55:07 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Air hammer works as well on the shaft while you lift up on the washer tub, did it on mine took about 10 seconds and it was off.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply