Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
neutron68  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2018 3:24:56 PM(UTC)
neutron68

Groups: Registered

The fridge has been cooling ok (both freezer and fridge side). Today, I noticed that the fan that cools the compressor was running continuously and also switching off and then back on right away - not normal.
I pulled off the back cover and vacuumed out all the dust and pet hair. It was pretty dusty/hairy.
I plugged in the fridge in again and the compressor started right away, then there was a repeated click and beep sound. I looked into the freezer and heard a repeated vibration sound. I took off the freezer inner covers and saw that the freezer fan was trying to start but would not complete 1 full revolution. I gave it a spin and then it started.
When the compressor cooling fan clicked off (as it has been doing in the on/off cycle it's going through) the freezer fan also turned off. When the compressor cooling fan clicked on, the freezer fan tried to start up again. I helped the freezer fan start again and it started. It shut off again when the compressor cooling fan shut off again. Eventually the freezer fan was able to start on it's own and keep running, during the off cycles when the fans shut off and turn on again. And, ever though the freezer fan stays running, both the freezer and compressor fans shut off every few seconds, and restart again. All the while, the compressor keeps running solid.
The freezer coils get cold, but they are not plugged with frost or ice.
The compressor is hot, but not too hot to touch it.

What is wrong? Some temperature sensor needs replacing?
Freezer fan needs replacing?
I can't think of reasons why the computer would stop the fans.

I could start buying parts and replace them, but it would be better to act on a more educated guess.
Advice appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

neutron68  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2018 9:31:56 AM(UTC)
neutron68

I found the solution!!

After several weeks of searching I stumbled on this:

"This is a repair service for a KitchenAid refrigerator control board, part number W10219462 or W10219463 that is having problems with the evaporator fan, condenser fan, and/or cooling fan. This problem can sometimes cause the control board or refrigerator to beep."

https://circuitboardmedi...zk7NgkmouDEaAreTEALw_wcB

Those were the symptoms, I had been seeing/hearing - fans start and stop at unexpected times, and there is a beep when they do!

It sounds like this is a common problem, otherwise there wouldn't be a repair service just to deal with it!

The cricuit board is mounted on the back side of the fridge, near the outer wall!
It's got a beeper on it - the source of the beeps I've been hearing when the fans shut off!

That Circuit Board Medics company even made a video showing you how to get the control board out so you can send it back for repair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALgVAq6CY60

I elected to buy one of their rebuilt boards, and then send mine back to them after I had made the swap.
I replaced the circuit board and that fixed it!
It's not beeping and shutting off the fans randomly. It's cooling great and making lots of ice.

Of note, on the circuit board I removed from my fridge, I noted it had all Chinese (Taiwanese) capacitors on it and that one of them (C32) was puffed - a sign the capacitor had failed.

When I got their rebuilt circuit board, I noted all the parts they had replaced - all the Chinese (Taiwanese) capacitors, all the relays and an opto-isolator chip.
They replaced all the Jamicon capacitors with Panasonic capacitors.
janderson0917  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 9:42:33 AM(UTC)
janderson0917

United States

We did the same thing replacing that board and it worked as well.
hoesy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 10:25:12 AM(UTC)
hoesy

United States

It sounds like the same issue I have as well, and found a link describing the replacement of the C32 capacitor and relay(s) K4-specifically (I also have a Kitchenaid, KSCS25FVBL00).
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply