Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smytw1972  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 12:27:30 PM(UTC)
smytw1972

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Profile PFSS2MIXA. French door, bottom freezer.
For some reason the unit operates "normal".. but has developed the habit at random times thru the day or night to lower its temperatures at both levels. Since I have had it from new (2008) has never had any service done to it, has performed as expected.. but for over a month now is having its temperature issue. I have always kept it a factory settings.. 0 degs for bottom and 37 for the top.. no issues.

I have noticed that when its goes in to the issue.. thru the issue it makes a noise similar as the one you hear when to electric cables touch each other (electric spark/spike noise), but nothing smells like burning at all. the item just keeps doing this number until is able to get to the temperature settings of 0 and 37 respectively.

Typically when it is losing degrees goes up to around 7 and 42 respectively. Once if finishes doing it.. temperatures go back to normal and life goes on. It does take a few hours to do so, but eventually goes back to normal.

I have not spotted or felt any water leaks, cool air leaks from door gaps/gaskets, no freezing, no ice formations,.. nothing that would give me a visual that something is wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:09:20 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
What your are hearing sounds like normal defrost. You might hear sizzling sounds and other sounds that occur when cold water drips onto the hot defrost element. You might even see it glowing through the vent holes.

It should only last about 25 to 30 minutes and it may happen pretty close to the same time every day, depending on how it is set up.

Any water that drips off the coils in the freezer should end up in a drain pan underneath the refrigerator and evaporate away on its own.
smytw1972  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:48:18 PM(UTC)
smytw1972

Groups: Registered

The issue lasts on and off thru the day. This afternoon, the temperature on the Refrigerator stayed between 37 and 38F... while the Freezer went from 0F to 22F... and off course thawing everything inside the freezer area. Tired of the issue, left for Lowe's bought a new ref/freezer... be here Tuesday and done with the last two weeks of up and down temperatures inside the GE.

As I said before, I have had this one since new in 2008, pretty sure I have learn to know the normal operation. Probably is a simple fix that needs to be applied, but by the time a "Tech" gets done with it.. probably same $1000 I paid for a new one and still unsure if it was fixed right.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply